Towson extends streak, ousting Patapsco, 3-1

Generals rally from 1-0 halftime deficit as Skeen scores game-winner

Class 3A North boys soccer

High Schools

November 05, 2003|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

A year ago, when Towson's boys soccer team was winning a tight Class 2A North regional title game over Eastern Tech, Tim Skeen had been relegated to the role of statistician after a broken leg prematurely ended his season.

But the junior midfielder was right in the middle of yesterday's come-from-behind, 3-1 Class 3A North regional final win at 10th-ranked Patapsco, scoring the game-winner that lifted the fifth-ranked Generals after trailing 1-0 at halftime.

"The ball came toward me at the top of the 18, and a defender was coming at me," said Skeen, who one-timed his third goal of the year with his right foot inside the post to the right of keeper Dan Kikola (eight saves). "I just took a shot as hard as I could. Luckily I stuck it in the corner."

The win raised Towson's record to 8-0-1 since its 4-2 loss to Patapsco on Oct. 1 and to 14-1-1 for the year. It also earned the Generals a berth in a state semifinal game this weekend against the winner of Bethesda-Chevy Chase/Frederick.

Skeen's goal, 13 minutes into the second half, was sandwiched between two by top-scoring midfielder Jeff Routh (16 goals, seven assists).

"As manager last year, I had to sit there and record the game," Skeen said. "Obviously, this feels much better."

The Patriots (15-3) were trying to win their third game since a 3-0 loss to Sparrows Point in the Baltimore County championship game. They were also trying to overcome the absence of five players, three of them starters, who were suspended for disciplinary reasons.

Patapsco led 1-0 in the 25th minute after Maurice Weaver's header off an assist from Steve Wirth. But Routh, a senior who scored the game-winner in last year's title game, made it 1-1 two minutes into the second half with his first of two headers off a rebound.

Routh scored his second goal, assisted by Nick May, scarcely a minute after Skeen's goal, before dropping back to play defense with May, Scott Andrezejewski, Maicin Dunk and keeper Mark Schminke (10 saves.)

"In practice, we work on waiting for that great shot and the chance to stick it. We've really been fortunate to come up big in the regional finals," said Routh, a member of last year's 2A state runner-up squad.

"The first time they played us, they caught us off-guard," said Routh. "They're a great team, but we believed we could win and that we'd get it done today."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.