Fatal shooting unforeseeable, man's wife says

County officer killed woman's boyfriend, self

`It wasn't him that night'

Victim's relatives say he had filed complaint


November 04, 2003|By Julie Bykowicz | Julie Bykowicz,SUN STAFF

After killing his estranged wife's boyfriend on Halloween night, an Anne Arundel County officer continued firing his department-issued handgun indiscriminately, even as his 5- and 6-year-old sons were frozen in place in the family's Millersville home, the wife said yesterday.

Lisa Frendlich, 34, said she swooped up the boys - one under each arm - and carried them outside before returning to the living room to try to persuade her husband not to take his life. Ignoring her pleas, Officer David Keith Frendlich fatally shot himself in the head, his wife said in a detailed interview.

Lisa Frendlich said yesterday she was still searching for a way to tell her sons that their father had killed himself. "Both of them keep asking where Daddy is," she said. "I just tell them he's away."

Meanwhile, the family of her slain boyfriend, Ronald Larry Boliek, said the 35-year-old Odenton man had complained to police about what he said was the officer's erratic behavior.

"We're all perturbed that police never did anything," brother Richard Boliek said yesterday.

Although the department spokesman said he could not discuss personnel matters, several police sources who declined to be identified said that no internal affairs complaint had been filed against Frendlich, 35, a 10-year department veteran and former member of the Air Force.

O'Brien Atkinson, president of the county's Fraternal Order of Police, said officers under internal investigation routinely contact the union's lawyer and that Frendlich had not done so.

Yesterday, Lisa Frendlich described herself as a woman torn between two "wonderful men," whom she said she loved equally. She continued to share a home with her husband, even though she had been dating Boliek, an electrician, for nearly a year.

Lisa Frendlich, a physical education teacher at Lindale Middle School in Linthicum, met Ronald Boliek in December while she was a cheerleading coach for his now 8-year-old daughter, Kimberly, who was present when her father was shot.

Yesterday, Lisa Frendlich and Boliek's relatives recounted instances of conflict between the two men.

At a cheerleading competition in January at Glen Burnie High School, David Frendlich charged into the gymnasium stands and snapped photos of his wife's boyfriend, telling him he "would be sorry," said several who attended the event, including Donna Boliek, the slain man's sister-in-law.

Ronald Boliek complained to several people - including Lisa Frendlich and his brother - that the officer parked his police cruiser outside Boliek's home once during the summer.

But Lisa Frendlich said there was no way anyone could have predicted the Halloween shootings.

"It wasn't him that night," she said. "The look in his eyes was just evil. It wasn't him."

The day before Halloween, David Frendlich had dropped off the couple's children at the boyfriend's home, telling the man, "Here, it's Lisa's turn," she said. No other words were exchanged, and David Frendlich left the property, she said.

The next day, Lisa Frendlich and her children arrived at their home on Daniels Purchase Way in Millersville about 3 p.m. Frendlich's car was not in the driveway, and it did not appear that he was home, she said. Police officers later found the car parked on nearby Anna Lane.

The mother and her children spent the evening passing out candy to trick-or-treaters and watching Cartoon Network. About 9:30 p.m., Ronald Boliek stopped by with his daughter to take Lisa Frendlich and her sons for a late dinner at Friendly's.

"Out of nowhere," she said, her husband emerged from downstairs and without a word began firing his .40-caliber Sig Sauer semiautomatic handgun at Boliek, hitting him several times.

Lisa Frendlich said she shouted for the children to leave and began trying to wrest the gun from her husband, even as he continued firing. Asked if she was frightened for her safety, she replied, "At that point I didn't care."

But then, she said, she noticed that although Kimberly had fled, the young boys were standing motionless, watching their father. She carried them outside and used her cellular phone to call 911, she said.

Then she went back into the house and tried to talk to her husband, who had been shouting that he would kill himself. When officers arrived at 9:43 p.m., about five minutes after getting the 911 call, David Frendlich was lying in the living room with a gunshot wound to the head.

The Millersville house is still a crime scene. Since the shootings, Lisa Frendlich said she and her sons have been staying with her mother in Glen Burnie. David, 6, and Dylan, 5, don't fully understand what happened, she said.

His mother said Dylan has asked when police would "cut the line" so they can go home.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.