Careless smoking blamed for fire in Elkridge apartment

November 02, 2003|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A one-alarm fire at an Elkridge carriage house Friday morning was caused by careless smoking and resulted in $70,000 worth of damage, Howard County fire officials said.

The blaze started about 7:30 a.m. in the 5800 block of Hunt Club Road in a one-story structure that had been converted to an apartment, said Bill Mould, public information officer with Howard County Fire and Rescue Services. Firefighters brought the blaze under control in 30 minutes, and 50 firefighters were on the scene, he said.

The two occupants of the apartment escaped injury, officials said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.