River Hill has handle on Hebron to advance

Vikings end 2 men short as Hawks take 4-0 victory

Class 3A East boys soccer

High Schools

November 01, 2003|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

River Hill's "Mount Hebron connection" in boys soccer did in the Vikings in the Class 3A East region semifinals yesterday at River Hill.

After a scoreless first half in which each team took seven shots, the Hawks broke through three minutes into the second half on a goal by Theo Byrd and an assist by Brian Chun on the way to a 4-0 victory.

Third-ranked River Hill (13-1), the defending Class 3A state champ, will play Wilde Lake - a 1-0 winner over Bladensburg yesterday - at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Howard High for the region championship.

No. 6 Mount Hebron (13-3) had two players ejected with red cards in a rough second half, so it played some of the stoppage time two men short and, for about 15 minutes before that, a man down.

"Theo and I both live in the Mount Hebron district, so we really wanted to win this one," said Chun, a senior center midfielder who is enrolled at River Hill under the tech magnet program. "Coach [Bill] Stara told us at halftime that one goal would break the bank and set the momentum in motion - one, and you're done. Then you play defense."

Chun, in the middle of the field, collided with a defender and then dribbled to the right before passing to Byrd racing down the right side unguarded 10 yards outside the right post. Byrd's shot to the near post just cleared the arm of Chris Nemeh (11 saves), Mount Hebron's diving goalkeeper, in the 43rd minute.

"We've always been rivals with Mount Hebron," said Chun, who missed the regular-season 1-0 victory over the Vikings because of poison ivy. The Hawks defeated Mount Hebron in the region final last season, 1-0. In 2001, the Vikings were eliminated by eventual state champion Severna Park.

The Hawks essentially clinched the win in the 54th minute when an unguarded Jeremy Smith took a pass from Byrd on the right side and kicked the ball into the goal at the near post from 6 yards.

"This was a great emotional run for us to dominate after the first game was 1-0," said Smith. "We tried to attack their right side. There was no one there for them."

River Hill's final two goals came with Mount Hebron playing nine men against the Hawks' 11 in stoppage time. David Adams dribbled in from 35 yards and went around a diving Nemeh to score at the far post from 2 yards. Tyler Meade scored the fourth goal, also from the left.

"They played hard," said Adams. "It was just bad luck for them they had to play a man down, and then two men down."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.