Deaths Elsewhere

Deaths Elsewhere

October 24, 2003

Margaret E. Murie, 101, a conservationist and author who helped preserve millions of acres of unspoiled land in Alaska and across the United States by encouraging the creation of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the passage of the Wilderness Act, died Sunday at her ranch in Moose, Wyo.

A longtime official of the Wilderness Society, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, by President Bill Clinton in 1998.

Mrs. Murie, who was known as Mardy, grew up in a log cabin in Alaska, an experience that she wrote about in her autobiography, Two in the Far North.

Published in 1962 and still in print, the book describes the winter night when she was 14 and Fairbanks caught fire, prompting her father and other men to burn the town's bacon supply as fuel to keep the steam-powered water pump running; her late-winter dogsled trips over thawing rivers; how, in 1924, she became the first woman to graduate from the University of Alaska; and her marriage that year, in a 3 a.m. sunrise ceremony, to Olaus Murie, a biologist for the Biological Survey, forerunner of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

It also recounts the couple's honeymoon, a 500-mile caribou research expedition by dogsled, as well as a later river journey taken with their infant son, Martin, strapped to their canoe.

Although Mrs. Murie (pronounced MYUR-ee) and her husband moved to Wyoming in the 1930s to study elk migrations, they never lost their focus on Alaska and returned there often.

After traveling in the Brooks Range above the Arctic Circle in the summer of 1956, they began a campaign to set aside parts of the area as a wildlife refuge.

Four years later, President Dwight D. Eisenhower designated 8 million acres as the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge; President Jimmy Carter more than doubled the protected area in 1980.

In addition to her autobiography, she wrote two other books, Island Between, published in 1977, and Wapiti Wilderness, published in 1966 with her husband as co-author.

Roy A. Anderson, 82, who as chairman and chief executive of Lockheed Corp. steadied and rebuilt the floundering company in the late 1970s and early 1980s, died Saturday at his home in California.

Mr. Anderson had been in failing health for several years, said Barbara Reinike, the director for community relations at Lockheed Martin, the successor to Lockheed.

He began his career as an accountant at Lockheed and was named chairman and chief executive in 1977, when the company was mired in political and financial scandals that threatened its future. The company had been forced to negotiate a federal loan guarantee, which had little precedent at the time. A company poll showed that the public associated it more with financial mismanagement than with any of the airplanes or military hardware that rolled off its assembly lines.

But by the time Mr. Anderson retired as chief executive in 1985, Lockheed was reporting steady profit growth and had resumed paying dividends after a 15-year hiatus. At the last annual meeting over which he presided, Mr. Anderson was able to describe winning more than $500 million in contracts for the federal government's Strategic Defense Initiative program, often called "star wars," and was to predict that more than twice that amount was in the offing.

After he retired, Mr. Anderson remained active in civic groups and causes in Los Angeles, and took over as unpaid acting president of the area's United Way after it became embroiled in a financial scandal in 1986.

Peter Morgan, 83, head of the family firm that makes Morgan sports cars, died Monday in England.

Known as P.M., Mr. Morgan was the son of H.F.S. Morgan, who began manufacturing a single-seat, three-wheel car in 1910.

During his tenure from 1959 to 1999, the son was involved in every aspect of developing the Morgan brand at the company's factory in Malvern Link, southern England, and built up the company's exports -- particularly to the United States and Germany.

The company produces 700 cars a year, about half of them sold overseas.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.