Eleanor N. Lewis, 89, volunteer, housewife

October 08, 2003

Eleanor N. Lewis, a community volunteer and housewife, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at Roland Park Place, where she had resided for 12 years. She was 89 and had lived in Roland Park for many years.

Born Eleanor Nelson in Pottsville, Pa., she was raised in Roland Park and was a 1932 graduate of Roland Park Country School. She earned a degree in English at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

In 1938, she married H.H. Walker Lewis, an attorney and author. He died in 1999.

She was a volunteer at Johns Hopkins Hospital and the city Department of Social Services.

She was a former board member of the YWCA, the League of Women Voters and Roland Park Country School. She was a longtime member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Mrs. Lewis also belonged to and was a benefactor of many groups that supported peace, civil liberties, the environment, relief of poverty, and rights for minorities and women. She was also an advocate of mass transit.

She enjoyed travel, reading, writing, walking and sailing.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., where she was a former vestry member.

She is survived by four sons, Dr. Edwin A.S. Lewis of Baltimore, Dr. John N. Lewis of Louisville, Ky., Fielding Lewis of Belmont, Mass., and H. McIlvaine Lewis of Santa Fe, N.M.; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.