City boy, 16, charged in teen-ager's killing

Woodmoor youth, 17, was stabbed after attending large party

October 07, 2003|By Laura Barnhardt | Laura Barnhardt,SUN STAFF

A 16-year-old Baltimore boy has been charged with fatally stabbing a Woodmoor teen-ager Sept. 27 as a late-night party attended by about 200 people was breaking up, Baltimore County police said yesterday.

Devin Dante Smith of the 600 block of N. Montford Ave. was being held without bail yesterday at the Baltimore County Detention Center. Smith is charged with first-degree murder in the killing of 17-year-old Evan Hardy of the 3300 block of Fairview Road.

Hardy was found by police lying on the ground in the 1900 block of Featherbed Lane bleeding from several stab wounds. Witnesses told police that several young men had jumped out of cars and attacked Hardy without provocation as the party broke up.

Detectives said witnesses later identified Smith as the person who stabbed Hardy with a folding knife and then fled with several friends in a white Crown Victoria that looked like an older model unmarked police cruiser, according to District Court charging documents.

Police are continuing to investigate whether others played a role in Hardy's death, said Officer Shawn Vinson, a county police spokesman.

About 200 people, ranging in age from 11 to the early 20s, had attended the party at a home on Featherbed Lane, including Smith and Hardy. However, Vinson said yesterday, it's unclear what led to the assault.

Hardy's mother, Queen Hardy, said several people who had been at the party told her that more than one person had attacked her son.

"They told me none of them said a word. They just jumped out of the car and attacked my son," she said.

Hardy said her son, a high school senior, sang with his church choir and planned to attend Morgan State University in the fall. "He was a positive person - never been in serious trouble a day in his life," she said.

Several witnesses told police they tried to help Hardy but couldn't reach him through the crowd. Hardy died a short time later at Sinai Hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.