Deaths Elsewhere

Deaths Elsewhere

October 05, 2003

William Steig,

95, a prolific illustrator for The New Yorker known as the "King of Cartoons" for his award-winning, best-selling children's books including Shrek, died of natural causes of Friday at his home in Boston.

Mr. Steig combined a child's innocent eye with idiosyncratic line to create a wonderful world of animal characters for his books and Edwardian-era dandies in his drawings. His 1990 book about a green monster, Shrek, was made into the hit film that in 2002 became the first winner of an Oscar in the new category of best animated feature.

He sold his first cartoon to New Yorker editor Harold Ross in 1930 and was hired as a staff cartoonist. The magazine was still publishing his work more than 70 years later. He had produced more than 1,600 drawings as well as 117 covers for the magazine. A prolific author, he also wrote more than 30 children's books, inducing Newsweek to dub him the "King of Cartoons."

Mr. Steig did not begin writing children's books until he was 60. His third effort, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, was rewarded with the prestigious Caldecott Medal in 1970.

John Dunlop,

89, an economist and labor negotiator who served as secretary of labor during the Ford administration, died Thursday in Boston. Mr. Dunlop, who was dean of Harvard University's faculty of arts and sciences from 1969 to 1973, served as labor secretary from March 1975 until January 1976.

Mr. Dunlop resigned his Cabinet post after a communications mix-up with the White House. He left a meeting with President Gerald Ford under the impression the president supported legislation backed by labor groups that allowed picketing at certain kinds of construction sites. Mr. Dunlop endorsed the legislation in testimony on Capitol Hill, angering some Republicans. When Mr. Ford vetoed the legislation, Mr. Dunlop resigned.

Before taking the job, he had previously served on numerous national boards and commissions studying labor disputes and had advised the Labor Department dating back to the Franklin Roosevelt administration. He joined the Harvard faculty in 1938 and chaired the school's economics department from 1961 to 1966.

He retired from teaching in 1985 but remained active as a labor negotiator.

Marshall D. Gates Jr.,

88, the first person to synthesize morphine in the laboratory, collapsed and died Wednesday at his home in the Rochester, N.Y., suburb of Pittsford. The cause of death was not disclosed.

His 1952 breakthrough, achieved with the help of colleague Gilg Tschudi, propelled the development of nonaddictive drugs that could mimic morphine's ability to deaden severe pain. Efforts to synthesize morphine intensified in Britain and the United States during World War II amid a scarcity in the supply of the raw materials to make morphine.

His achievement "was not only to prepare it by synthesis, but confirm the structure of the molecule," said Robert Boeckman Jr., chairman of the University of Rochester's Department of Chemistry.

Mr. Gates began working as a teacher and researcher at the university in 1949, created hundreds of compounds and earned 13 patents. He became an emeritus professor on his retirement in 1981.

Mark G. Inghram,

83, a physicist who helped determine that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, died Monday in Holland, Mich. Mr. Inghram started at University of Chicago as a physics professor in 1947 and retired in 1985.

In 1953, he and his colleagues were the first scientists to use meteorites to determine the age of the Earth. He also collaborated with late Nobel laureate Willard Libby to determine the half-life of radioactive carbon-14. Mr. Libby used the technique to develop radiocarbon dating, which is used to determine the age of organic materials.

Mr. Inghram discovered more than a dozen naturally occurring and radioactive isotopes. His wife, Evelyn, said he celebrated the discovery of every new isotope with a dance.

Chubby Jackson,

84, a jazz bassist almost as well known for his onstage exuberance as for his playing, died Wednesday at a hospice in Paway, Calif. He had had cancer for several years and was also on dialysis, said his son, Duffy.

Mr. Jackson, born Greig Stewart Jackson in New York City, rose to prominence in the mid-1940s with Woody Herman's Herd, one of the best and most popular big bands of the swing era. Bassists in big bands rarely soloed, but Mr. Jackson emerged as one of the stars of the Herman ensemble, largely through sheer force of personality.

As well as providing powerful and unusually propulsive bass lines (on an instrument with five strings rather than the customary four, which he designed himself), Mr. Jackson was a ball of fire onstage, grinning broadly, rarely standing still and shouting encouragement to his fellow musicians.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.