Man held in death of burglar is denied bail

Victim was beaten, burned in Northwest Baltimore

October 01, 2003|By Del Quentin Wilber | Del Quentin Wilber,SUN STAFF

A District Court judge denied bail yesterday for a 19-year-old man accused in the death of a burglar who was beaten and burned while trying to break into a Northwest Baltimore home, officials said.

Dwayne Gibson is being held on a charge of attempted murder in the assault on a 43-year-old man identified in court documents as Wayne Rideout, whose most recent address was in the 3400 block of Lynchester St. in Northwest Baltimore, records show.

During a brief hearing, Judge Askew W. Gatewood ordered Gibson held without bail, and prosecutors said they were awaiting autopsy results before filing a charge of first-degree murder. Police charged Gibson with attempted murder before Rideout died Monday morning.

An aunt said Rideout had problems with mental illness. He grew up in Vienna, in Dorchester County, and eventually moved to Baltimore, she said.

Rideout had a history of arrests, mostly for minor offenses such as loitering and trespassing, court records show.

"He was a kind man who never bothered anybody," said the aunt, Williemina Rideout. "He was quiet."

Police said the incident began about 10:15 p.m. Sunday when Gibson saw Rideout in the back yard of his grandmother's house in the 3900 block of Grantley Road.

Gibson told detectives that he thought Rideout was leaving the home after a burglary, court records show. Police said they think Rideout was trying to break into the house when Gibson spotted him.

Police said Gibson struck the man on the head repeatedly with a crowbar and, when the man fell onto concrete steps leading into the home's basement, poured a flammable liquid over Rideout and lighted a match.

Rideout was engulfed in flames and suffered burns over 90 percent of his body. He died at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Monday morning.

Gibson was released from jail recently after serving 90 days for violating the terms of his probation in a trespassing case. Family members have said that Gibson was behaving in a threatening manner and that his grandmother would not allow him to stay with her. Gibson sometimes slept on her back porch, the relatives said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.