A three-alarm fire raced through a Dundalk apartment building late last night, leaving 12 families homeless -- a week after lives in this waterfront community were disrupted by Tropical Storm Isabel.
No serious injuries were reported, according to a Baltimore County police spokesman, although one resident of the building at 3100 Four Seasons Court who breathed smoke fumes became ill and was treated at Bayview Medical Center. Another person suffered from an asthma attack.
According to a Baltimore County fire official, the blaze broke out at 9:58 p.m., when a gas leak, possibly emanating from a laundry room, was detected but could not be turned off.
There was an explosion, and blue flames shot 4 feet out the windows of the three-story brown brick building.
Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. workers quickly cut off electricity to power lines that dangled perilously close to the flames.
Approximately 60 residents stood outside on Four Seasons Court or Meadow Way and watched as their belongings burned. They were too upset to comment.
Police were trying to find homes for the displaced families early today.
About 125 firefighters using more than two dozen pieces of equipment battled the blaze, which had not been contained as of 12:30 a.m.