A Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. employee was badly burned yesterday afternoon when he fell into a vat containing 12 feet of hot ash at the Brandon Shores Power Plant in northern Anne Arundel County, authorities said.
Michael Crawford of the 600 block of Wise Ave. in Pasadena was in stable condition last night at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, where he was being treated for second- and third-degree burns on both arms, legs and his back.
At about 1:45 p.m. yesterday, Crawford, 40, and another employee were pushing hot ash, the leftovers of burning coal to make electricity, into a deep metal vat, a BGE spokesman explained.
The two men were using fire hoses to move the ash, and Crawford might have slipped on a wet surface, said Kevin Thornton, a BGE spokesman.
Thornton was unable to say how long Crawford was in the ash or whether he was submerged.
The Maryland Occupational Safety and Health agency will investigate the incident at the Pasadena plant, a fire spokesman said.