The Preakness isn't likely to stay stuck at five for long.
After reports circulated this week that only five horses were confirmed for the second leg of the Triple Crown next Saturday at Pimlico Race Course, trainers and owners of at least six other horses began looking seriously at the $1 million race.
Horses now possible for the Preakness include Champali (second in the Derby Trial in his previous start), Cherokee's Boy (who won the Federico Tesio Stakes) Foufa's Warrior (third in the Crown Royal American Turf), Kissin Saint (third in the Wood Memorial Stakes), Midway Road (winner of a Keeneland allowance) and New York Hero (fifth in the Withers Stakes).
Already confirmed are Funny Cide (winner of the Kentucky Derby), Peace Rules (third in the Kentucky Derby) or Midas Eyes (winner of the Derby Trial), Scrimshaw (11th in the Kentucky Derby), Indian Express (14th in the Kentucky Derby) and Senor Swinger (first in the Crown Royal American Turf). Trainer Bobby Frankel said he will run Peace Rules or Midas Eyes, but not both.
Jennifer Pedersen, trainer of Maryland-bred New York Hero, and Lisa Lewis, trainer of Kissin Saint, said yesterday at Belmont Park that their horses will likely contest the Preakness.
Also yesterday, Larry Murray, trainer of Laurel-based Foufa's Warrior, said he's planning on entering his Maryland-bred gelding. Greg Foley, trainer of Kentucky-based Champali, was quoted in the Daily Racing Form as saying the Preakness remains a possibility.
Gary Capuano, trainer of Cherokee's Boy, and Neil Howard, trainer of Midway Road, had said earlier that they are considering the Preakness.