Girls lacrosse

Gladchuk, St. Mary's draw up Severn upset

Retaining possession key

Admirals lose first, 17-13

High Schools

April 30, 2003|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Julie Gladchuk dominated the draws and combined with Mary Key and Jenna Hubbard for 13 goals as No. 8 St. Mary's defeated No. 3 Severn, 17-13, in the final regular-season game for the two playoff-bound girls lacrosse teams yesterday.

Both coaches, Sue Chittim of St. Mary's and Severn's Renie Sotiropoulos, agreed that Gladchuk's controlling 85 percent of the draws was the difference in the rare high-scoring contest.

"We've been working on the draws a lot because whoever is controlling the draws is really controlling the momentum," said Gladchuk, who scored four goals.

"We knew that Severn likes to control the draws and that's what we had to do."

It was the first loss of the season for the host Admirals (12-1-3), who finished 8-1-3 in the Interscholastic Athletic Associa- tion of Maryland A Conference to slip below the Saints (15-3, 10-2) in the standings.

Three ties are equivalent to a loss in the IAAM, so the Saints move ahead by virtue of head-to-head results.

No. 2 Roland Park, No. 5 Notre Dame Prep, No. 9 Seton Keough and No. 12 St. Paul's are also in the IAAM postseason picture with St. Mary's and Severn.

"We wanted this game so bad because there is nothing like beating Severn," said Hubbard, a Saints' junior attack who had four goals and three assists.

"Severn is our biggest game of the season. It's a lacrosse-town rivalry and everything was on for us. Our coach didn't have to have an out-of-body experience like she calls it when she gets mad at us. We actually asked her to yell at us just because it pumps us up so much."

The Saints showed their coach they were ready by firing in three straight goals in the first two minutes for a 3-0 lead. After Severn cut it to 3-2 on goals by Jessica Adam, who led her team with four goals and one assist, and Molly Dodson, Key fired in three of her game-high five goals.

Hubbard and Gladchuk followed with goals to give St. Mary's an 8-3 lead with about six minutes left in the first half.

By the break, the Saints held a 12-7 bulge, which they would eventually push to 17-11 on senior Kristin Nassar's only goal of the game from Key with six minutes left.

It was a margin too big for the Admirals to overcome.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.