No. 2 Calvert Hall ends Mt. St. Joseph's run, 9-4

Huntley: 4 goals, 2 assists

Cards roll after 2-0 deficit

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

April 26, 2003|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

This had been a very special week for Mount St. Joseph's lacrosse team. The Gaels routed No. 13 Centennial -- the defending Class 2A-1A state champion -- and upset top-ranked Boys' Latin on consecutive days.

But Kevin Huntley brought the host Gaels back to earth yesterday. The left-handed junior with the powerful shot helped No. 2 Calvert Hall break open a close game in the fourth quarter and roll to a 9-4 victory over No. 10 Mount St. Joseph in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

Huntley had seven goals and one assist in Calvert Hall's 12-5 victory over Mount St. Joseph earlier this month. The Gaels' defense, led by goalie Tom Scherr (13 saves), held Huntley to one goal and one assist yesterday -- until late in the third quarter.

But Huntley scored in the final moments of the third period and added two goals and an assist in the fourth quarter as Calvert Hall (12-3, 6-3) took command. He finished with a hard-earned four goals and two assists.

"I think they were trying to lock me off," said Huntley, who has 61 goals and 26 assists this season. "My shots just started falling in the fourth quarter. You can't get frustrated. You've got to keep shooting, and it will fall for you."

Mount St. Joseph (6-6, 3-6) often double-teamed him yesterday and forced him behind the goal, away from trouble. Scherr repeatedly stopped him -- once on a spectacular one-on-one save on the doorstep just 18 seconds into the third quarter.

"We knew that he's going to find a way to score goals and get assists," Scherr said. "Every game, I have to come out and make some big saves, and the defense works so hard."

The Gaels took a 2-0 first-quarter lead before Calvert Hall scored five straight goals. The Cardinals got some solid work from goalie Jeremy Blevins (16 saves) and had a 5-2 lead when Huntley scored on a slick one-on-one move with 1:27 left in the third quarter.

After Mike Hughes scored for Mount St. Joseph with 18 seconds left in the period, Huntley took charge. His eye-opening, over-the-shoulder shot gave the Cardinals a 7-3 lead. Brian Gargan (two goals) answered for the Gaels before Huntley scored on a fast break.

Huntley later made a great pass through a double team to Mike Edwards for the team's final goal. The Cardinals scored four goals in the final 13:27 while the Gaels' offense never got going and the defense wore down in the final minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.