N. Harford's Grubb gets 250th win

Longtime coach sees team blitz C.M. Wright, 16-0

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

April 24, 2003|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

Win No. 250 couldn't have been any sweeter for North Harford boys lacrosse coach John Grubb.

With a 16-0 victory over C. Milton Wright last night, the 15th-ranked Hawks not only gave their longtime coach a milestone victory, they moved another step closer to a Harford County title. They also revenged two straight lopsided losses to the Mustangs in the process.

The Hawks, off to their best start ever with an 8-0 overall record and 4-0 in county, could clinch their 12th county title with victories over Aberdeen and Bel Air next week.

But this night was about Grubb, who was the program's first coach in 1977 and has led the Hawks to two state titles.

"It's a pretty big milestone, but I'm just pleased for my kids," said an emotional Grubb, still dripping after he was doused with a water cooler on a chilly night in Pylesville. Many of Grubb's former players were on hand to congratulate a coach who has compiled a 250-125 record in 26 seasons.

"They remembered what happened the last two years, and they knew the county championship was going to come through here tonight."

Nothing about yesterday was ordinary for the Hawks. Before the game, Grubb took his team to the trophy case outside the school's gymnasium that houses the county and state championship trophies the team has won under Grubb's direction.

But taped to the trophy case, especially for yesterday, were two signs with the game scores - 17-5 and 17-2 - from the Hawks' past two outings against C. Milton Wright.

"We wanted to win this game more than anything," said junior Nick Mezzanotte, who added to his team lead in scoring with three goals and two assists.

Meanwhile, C. Milton Wright (2-5-1, 1-1 county) is headed in a different direction. The Mustangs have lost five starters, including top two scorers Pat Hanley and Trevor Zorbach predominantly because of injuries.

Daniel Petty and Will Rigdon each had two goals and two assists, and senior Patrick Smith had a goal and an assist and won eight of nine faceoffs in the first half for the Hawks.

"It was basically a championship game, and I knew I had to push myself to get us possessions," said Smith.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.