Loyola defeats Gilman

Dons start quickly, earn 12-5 win over Greyhounds

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

April 23, 2003|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

On offense, Loyola was opportunistic and unselfish and shot as well as it has all season.

Defensively, the aggressive Dons forced a ton of turnovers and got a huge performance from senior goalie Pat Vaughan.

Indeed, it was difficult to find fault with anything No. 3 Loyola did yesterday. The Dons jumped on No. 4 Gilman from the opening whistle, posting an impressive 12-5 victory over the Greyhounds in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference boys lacrosse game yesterday at Loyola.

"To score 12 goals against a very good goalie and a well-coached team, you have to be pleased," said Dons coach Jack Crawford, whose team improved to 8-2 overall, 6-2 in the league.

Coupled with No. 1 Boys' Latin's loss to Mount St. Joseph, the win forges a tie in MIAA's Division II between the Dons and Lakers, who will meet on May 6. "It's certainly one of the best efforts we've had."

Junior attackman Ben Rubeor scored a game-high four goals to go along with an assist. Classmate Andrew Baird registered three goals and three assists, and senior Tim Cyphers added two goals.

But Vaughan was the story early. He made nine saves in the first half and 14 for the game. Several saves came on point-blank shots.

"We've been working on one-on-one's a lot in practice, and the last couple of games, I've just been seeing the ball very well," he said.

Perhaps, Vaughan's best two saves came when the game was still scoreless as he stopped Luke Wilson twice on Greyhounds first-quarter extra-man opportunities.

Meanwhile, the Dons, creating a boatload of turnovers off their rides, got on the board at the 5:36 mark of the first quarter as senior Sam Wagner fired a high shot past Greyhounds goalie Grant Zimmerman (nine saves).

Baird tallied his first goal 2 1/2 minutes later and then he converted a Casey Mulford pass for a 3-0 first-quarter lead.

The lead was 5-0 before Gilman's John Pinney beat Vaughan 4:16 before halftime.

"We have a tendency when we get down to not get back up, so we really needed to get off to a good start," said Baird, whose team led 6-2 at intermission.

Baird opened the scoring in the second half, followed by a Rubeor goal, making it 8-2.

"I thought we played hard, but we didn't play intelligently," said Gilman coach Dave Allan. "They took advantage of our mistakes, and that's the mark of a good team."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.