Shooting star Key lights way for two St. Mary's wins

Saints trip host Annapolis after Wright in tourney

Girls lacrosse

High Schools

April 20, 2003|By Matt Papuchis | Matt Papuchis,SUN STAFF

St. Mary's co-captain Mary Key picked up last night exactly where she left off in her team's early game yesterday against No. 12 C.M. Wright - scoring.

After registering five goals in the first-round win, Key found the back of the net less than two minutes into the opening half last night and No. 9 St. Mary's never looked back on its way to a 13-8 win over No. 13 Annapolis in the final game of the Annapolis Invitational Tournament at Richard G. Ensor Stadium.

"It's such a big rivalry, we all know each other really well and it was personal for us," said Key, who scored four goals and added an assist in the win. "We knew that they were going to come out really hard and we knew we had to also. We wanted to win so bad and we came out with a much higher intensity than they did and I think that's what got the job done."

If the opening minutes of the first half indicated anything, it was that it was going to be a long night for the host Panthers.

But after it fell behind by six goals, Annapolis began to turn things around. Down 8-2 late in the first half, Annapolis, spearheaded by Kelsey Mays, Cara Cerone and Michelle DeChant, who combined for seven of the Panthers' eight goals, mounted a comeback and eventually cut the Saints' lead to 9-8 with 15 minutes to play.

But St. Mary's didn't let the Panthers get any closer and recorded four unanswered scores to close the game.

"We gave them a six-goal lead and you can't win when you do that," Annapolis coach Dave Gehrdes said. "We did a great job of coming back, but those first five or 10 minutes of the game we had a problem controlling the ball. We chipped away at their lead, then all of the sudden we reverted back to what we were doing at the beginning of the game, which was give up fast breaks."

After Key's initial score, the Saints rolled off four more unanswered goals to take a quick 5-0 lead.

"We've really been working on trying to see each other, trying to work as a team and pass on transitions," St. Mary's coach Sue Chittim said.

Annapolis stopped the spurt at the eight-minute mark when Hayley McDonough scored off a pass from Mays. But the Saints retaliated a minute later when Kimi Pastrana scored.

The majority of the first half was played in Annapolis territory, and when the Panthers did manage to move it down to the St. Mary's end, they were met with tight defense that refused to buckle. When the Panthers got a shot off, Saints goalie Allie Buote (10 saves) turned it away.

The Panthers did manage to cut the lead to 8-4 heading into the break.

Annapolis' momentum seemed to carry over into the second half, as the Panthers dominated possession. They went on a 4-1 run before St. Mary's put it away.

Chittim hopes that her team can take the momentum from the victory into a tough match Tuesday against Seton Keough.

"We're playing really well right now and I want to continue that," she said. "We needed that, and I can't be more proud of these kids."

Key scored five goals and had an assist in the Saints' 6-5 come-from-behind win over C.M. Wright earlier in the day.

Annapolis also upset the higher-seeded Mustangs, 12-10, in the first game of the day.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.