Calvert Hall slips past Gilman in OT

Defender loses footing, opening door to 7-6 win for visiting No. 4 Cards

Boys lacrosse

High School

April 09, 2003|By Sam Atkinson | Sam Atkinson,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The home field usually gives the host an advantage, but the third-ranked Gilman lacrosse team found out otherwise yesterday in a 7-6 loss in overtime to No. 4 Calvert Hall.

Gilman (4-2 overall, 3-2 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association) tied the game at 6 with 4:55 remaining in the fourth quarter, but both teams squandered game-winning chances in the waning minutes before heading into overtime.

There, Matt Eckerl won his 13th straight faceoff to give Calvert Hall (7-2, 3-2) the key possession and allowed coach Bryan Kelly to call a timeout.

When play resumed, senior midfielder Nick Williams brought the ball up high on the left side of the goal and looked to pass, but Greyhounds long-stick midfielder Anthony Triplin lost his footing and fell, giving Williams a wide-open look at the goal. Williams wound up and unleashed a blistering shot past Gilman goalie Grant Zimmerman (15 saves) to give the Cardinals the dramatic victory.

"Actually the play was to get the ball to Kevin [Huntley] because he is our big-time player," Williams said. "When he fell, I was still looking to feed the crease ... but nobody slid to me so I just pulled it and hoped for the best."

Said Kelly: "Things don't always work as planned with lacrosse. We wanted Nick to start with the ball and try to get Kevin to pop off the crease. Nick took advantage of an opportunity of their player slipping and made just a great shot."

The stingy Greyhounds defense put the clamps on the Cardinals in the second half after five first-half goals, but in the end the poor field conditions on a raw afternoon led to Gilman's second MIAA loss in five days.

"Anthony played great the whole game. He just lost his footing. The field was real wet," said Gilman's Gentry Fitzpatrick.

Junior attackman Huntley paced Calvert Hall with two goals and two assists. Senior Mike Kruger and Williams scored two goals each and Eckerl added one in the four-goal second quarter for Calvert Hall.

"To come out here and get some early goals on them ... is a feat for us," Williams said.

Senior midfielder Bart Weinstein scored 1:21 into the first quarter to give Gilman its only lead.

Huntley scored six minutes later to tie the game and he assisted on Kruger's first goal at 9:01 in the second quarter.

The Greyhounds made their comeback in the third quarter after trailing at halftime 5-2.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.