Officials stop game after tempers flare

Walbrook-Forest Park halted after 14 penalties

`sad that this happened'

High Schools

Boys lacrosse

April 01, 2003|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

They played through falling snowflakes so thick that visibility was hampered. They played through the sloppy conditions of Walbrook's stadium field that made scooping a lacrosse ball, let alone maintaining one's footing, nearly impossible.

In the end, however, the boys lacrosse teams of Walbrook and Forest Park couldn't play through their flaring tempers.

Game officials dished out 14 penalties - including two separate three-minute unsportsmanlike conduct infractions against Forest Park - before calling yesterday's Baltimore City A Division boys lacrosse game with 2:50 left in the third period and Walbrook ahead 10-2.

The referees suspended the contest until Baltimore City officials rendered a decision whether the game would be deemed complete.

Both teams entered the game at 2-0 in league play.

"It's sad that this happened. The guys are a little frustrated," said Walbrook coach Anthony Ryan, who gave his players a 10-minute post-game speech regarding conduct during games. "We have one of the best teams I've had since I've been here. We'll take a lesson from this and, hopefully, when we see them again, cooler heads will prevail."

Forest Park coach Robert Britt declined to comment.

Walbrook was led by Quincy Paige (three goals, two assists), Steven Hill (two, two), Joseph Benjamin (two, two), Pharoah Carr (two, two) and Davon Alford (one goal).

Charles Black and Tavon Barrow scored for Forest Park, and Barrow had an assist. Forest Park goalie Charles Bright had 14 saves, and Walbrook's Sherman Trusty had eight.

Three minutes into the game, a Forest Park player was ejected - and a three-minute penalty assessed - for his use of inappropriate language. The player remained on the sideline, however, often taunting Walbrook players and the referee.

Walbrook led 6-1 at halftime. With 2:50 remaining in the third period, a player from each team was penalized. The Walbrook player drew a one-minute penalty and the Forest Park player a three-minute penalty.

Officials called the game when the penalized Forest Park player confronted the penalized Walbrook player as the latter left the field and approached the penalty area. Coaches separated the players.

"It's really disappointing. This game means a lot to us," said Walbrook defender Brandon Johnson. "We wanted to make a statement that we're the upcoming A Division champs. We wanted to show what we're made of."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.