No. 8 McDonogh storms to 6-4 victory

11th-ranked Centennial recovers from 5-1 halftime deficit but comes up short

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

March 30, 2003|By Sam Atkinson | Sam Atkinson,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The eighth-ranked McDonogh boys lacrosse team defeated defending Class 2A-1A state champion Centennial, 6-4, yesterday on a muddy home field through a driving rainstorm, capping a successful week.

McDonogh (2-1) of the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association had upset No. 2 Loyola on the road Thursday, 11-10, in overtime.

McDonogh had four players score two goals apiece in the Loyola game and Skylar Hopkins put home the game-winner in the extra period.

"It was a great win for our team," said McDonogh coach Jake Reed. "Any win in our league is a big win, especially when you knock off one of the big teams. The win gave our kids some confidence."

McDonogh carried that confidence into its game against No. 11 Centennial and jumped out to a 5-1 halftime lead. Centennial, however, exposed McDonogh's defense in the third quarter, scoring three unanswered goals to pull to 5-4.

Centennial (2-1) had a chance to tie the game with less then three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, but coming out of a timeout, McDonogh's Brian Weiss checked the ball free before Centennial could cross midfield. The check led to Hopkins' second goal of the game, assisted by Travis Holmes (two goals, one assist), to secure the victory.

"We screwed up," said Centennial coach Mike Siegert. "We called a timeout and picked the clear we were going to use, but we just didn't execute."

The rain and field conditions slowed the play of both teams, and it wasn't until the 3:08 mark in the first quarter that McDonogh scored its first goal from senior Tyler Kelly (two goals), whose shot trickled through the muddy crease.

Hopkins scored two minutes later, as he curled around the left side of the goal and fired a shot past Centennial goalie Mark Nakasone (13 saves).

"I think we were a little tight at the beginning of the ballgame," Siegert said. "You know when you are playing the MIAA conference you are playing the best."

Centennial finally got on the scoreboard 50 seconds into the second quarter as Pat Davis ripped a shot past McDonogh goalie Joe Pike (10 saves) on his off-stick-hand side.

Carey Collins, Kelly and Holmes scored the final three goals of the second quarter for McDonogh, the last one of the first half coming on an extra-man opportunity.

Centennial had several shots deflect off the goal pipes.

"We hit a couple pipes early on," Siegert said. "If they would have dropped, we would have relaxed a little bit. So we were in a big hole, 5-1, at halftime."

Centennial received goals from second-team All-Metro attackman Mike Down, Sean Doughtery and Eric Evans in the third quarter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.