City officer indicted in drug conspiracy

She is accused of warning others of impending arrests

Released on $100,000 bond

March 27, 2003|By Del Quentin Wilber | Del Quentin Wilber,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore police officer indicted on drug conspiracy charges was released yesterday on $100,000 bail by a city judge after a hearing in which prosecutors said the officer tried to warn suspected drug dealers about their impending arrests.

Officer Aleacia L. Hill, 25, said nothing during the hearing and declined to comment afterward. Her lawyer said Hill is innocent.

During Hill's initial appearance before Circuit Judge John M. Glynn yesterday, prosecutors laid out details of the sting operation that led to the officer's arrest.

The investigation began last fall when an informant called detectives to say that a man, Victor Clark, 33, was selling drugs in Pigtown and a police officer was aiding him, said Assistant State's Attorney Jill J. Myers.

That officer delivered drugs to Clark while in uniform and in a squad car, the informant told detectives, according to Myers.

On March 19, a city grand jury indicted Clark - who lived with Hill in Parkville - on drug distribution charges.

The grand jury indicted two others accused of being involved in the drug gang on the same charges - Phillip C. Hines, 32, of the 3900 block of Frederick Ave. and Gregory Moore, 35, of the 4800 block of Greencrest Road, Myers said.

The indictments remained sealed. Two days later, on Friday morning, police waited for Hill to leave for work at the Southern District and then raided her Parkville home, where Clark was arrested.

Detectives also raided two houses in Baltimore and arrested Moore and Hines, Myers said. Clark, Moore and Hines were ordered held without bail at a hearing yesterday.

When Hill arrived at the Southern District station on Friday, police set up a sting operation, Myers said. Supervisors handed Hill and other officers fliers announcing that Hines and Clark were wanted on drug charges.

Hill then slipped out of the briefing room and used her cellular phone to make nine calls to Clark, Myers said.

Twice, detectives answered the phone and Hill told them to have Clark call her back.

"It's urgent," Hill said during one of the calls, according to Myers.

Hill, who joined the department in 2001, was relieved of duty. A search of her home yielded crack cocaine, cocaine, a digital scale and a 9-mm handgun with an obliterated serial number, according to court documents.

Baltimore County police charged Hill with drug possession and altering the identification number of a handgun.

She was released on $25,000 bail and was indicted Tuesday by a grand jury on the drug conspiracy charges. On Monday, she was suspended without pay.

Hill's lawyer, Warren A. Brown, argued that his client had done nothing wrong and should be released on her own recognizance.

"She steadfastly denies any knowledge about what was going on," Brown said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.