Annapolis man indicted in fatal crash in November

March 09, 2003|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Jose A. Munoz, the man accused of participating in a drag race in November that left an Annapolis man dead, was indicted by a grand jury Friday on a charge of vehicular manslaughter.

Munoz, 42, of Martha Court in Annapolis, is accused of being one of three drivers who were speeding south on Generals Highway in Crownsville on Thanksgiving Day when the crash occurred.

Maximiliano Merlos, 34, of Wellington Place died at the scene. He was a passenger in a 1991 Honda CRX being driven by Byron H. Hernandez of Housley Road that was trying to pass Munoz's 1995 Nissan Sentra, police said. The Honda, the Nissan and another Nissan Sentra were speeding dangerously in a drag race, police said. Officials said alcohol was a factor in the crash.

The driver of the second Sentra has not been identified, police said last month. Hernandez has not been charged.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.