Mt. St. Joe takes Tier I title, 4-2

Street scores twice, leads Gaels to a 4-2 victory, revenge against DeMatha


High Schools

March 01, 2003|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

LAUREL - It can truly be said that hockey is a game of inches. Mount St. Joseph's Steve Street found that out last night.

Street, a senior, scored twice, including what would prove to be the winning goal with 10:42 left, as Mount St. Joseph won the Maryland Scholastic Hockey Leagues Tier I Championship over DeMatha, 4-2, at the Gardens Ice House.

As well as the Gaels played, half cunning and half luck gave Street his game-winner.

"I was coming from behind the net, and I saw that [the goalie] didn't have the post covered," Street said. "I put [the puck] on goal, and it hit the back of the goalie's leg and went in."

The win gave the Gaels (20-1-2) their first Tier I title since the 1999-2000 season and avenged a 5-1 loss to DeMatha (18-19-2) in last year's final.

"We knew we were the better team, so we knew we had to come out firing in the third period," said Gaels captain Anthony DiNoto.

After playing two tentative periods, the Gaels controlled the third, holding DeMatha to just six shots while getting several good opportunities against Stags goalie Pudge Sillery. After Street's goal, the Gaels got another 45 seconds later, with Patrick Riley scoring off a two-on-one, partial breakaway.

Then, the Gaels, with 11 seniors, applied experience and defensive pressure.

"We started to wear them down in the third period," Mount St. Joseph coach Erv Terwilliger said. "These kids have had a great season, and they've earned this title."

The motivated Gaels took advantage of the younger Stags early, posting a 1-0 lead just 2:39 into play, when Street stole the puck at the blue line and fed Patrick Noonan, who shot into the net's lower right-hand corner.

DeMatha tied the score a little more than four minutes later on a tip by Chris Chambers. The Stags increased the lead later in the first period, when Steve Friedman took a pass after a face-off and one-timed a shot past Gaels goalie Jimmy Depfer.

The Gaels made it 2-2 four minutes into the second period, with Street tipping in a low DiNoto shot.

In the Tier II final, Wheaton's Good Counsel defeated Sherwood, from Olney, 9-6.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.