Mount St. Joseph rolls to `A' title

Gaels top St. Mary's, 11-0

Boys' Latin gets 1st crown

MIAA hockey

High Schools

February 15, 2003|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Mount St. Joseph did something last night it doesn't often do: impress the coach.

The Gaels poured on the offense and never relented, defeating St. Mary's, 11-0, in a game that was stopped after two periods to claim the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference ice hockey championship at Piney Orchard Ice Rink in Odenton.

"This is the best we've played by far all year," Mount St. Joseph coach Erv Terwilliger said. "We had a lot of puck movement and a lot of pretty goals. We had some with multiple assists, and that makes me really happy."

Matt Nedzel and Ryan Garret led the Gaels with two goals apiece.

The Gaels won their fifth straight championship and are the only team to win the A Conference crown since hockey was reinstated in 1998.

"We came out focused tonight," Nedzel said. "We got the first goal and we just started rolling."

The Gaels (17-1-2 overall, 11-0-0 league) took the lead when Nedzel poked a rebound past Saints goalie Billy Medlock with 8:10 left in the first period.

Mount St. Joseph extended the lead when senior Vince Lagambi scored on a wrist shot with 5:29 left. The Gaels got two more when Ricky Haiber scored with 1:39 left, followed by Garret just 31 seconds later to put the Saints (12-11-2, 6-5-1) at a 4-0 deficit.

The Gaels picked up right where they left off in the second period, getting goals from Nedzel, Garret, Timmy Moran, Ricky McCrumb, Jimmy Doherty, Anthony DiNoto and Patrick Riley.

"They have a great team," Saints coach Tom Judge said. "They have four great lines and we have two. We played with them for a while in the first period, but then we ran out of gas."

Both teams will enter the Maryland Scholastic Hockey League playoffs in the Tier I Division. Mount St. Joseph should be the top seed and play Tuesday.

B Conference

Boys' Latin 6, St. Paul's 1: Senior captain Dan Goode ended his MIAA career in style with a hat trick to lift the Lakers to their first MIAA hockey championship.

Chris Maisel also had two goals for Boys' Latin.

The win gives the Lakers a berth in the MSHL private school championship on Feb. 24 at the Gardens Ice House in Laurel.

"We were mentally prepared for this game," Goode said. "They beat us last year in the semifinal to end our year, so this was payback. We wanted this game."

"They are our rival, so that makes this a little extra special," Lakers coach Gene Ubriaco said. "I had a feeling that this game could end up this way. I could see early that we were getting the opportunities."

The Lakers (11-3-3, 9-1-1) took over early when Goode poked a loose rebound past St. Paul's goalie Doug Carpenter at 10:30 of the first period.

Boys' Latin extended the lead when defenseman Doug Forbes found freshman Drew Clancy wide-open in front of Carpenter. Clancy lifted a wrist shot for a 2-0 lead at 8:26.

On the ensuing faceoff, the Lakers took control again. Junior Chris Maisel camped in front of Carpenter and tipped a shot from the point over his blocker to make it 3-0 just 14 seconds later.

Goode put the game away in the second period. He opened the scoring at 4:56 on a beautiful breakaway, then fired a high wrist shot past Carpenter for a 5-0 lead with 4:54 left in the period

St. Paul's got its goal with 1:59 left when senior Eric Wright scored on a rebound.

It was the fourth consecutive championship game loss for the Crusaders (10-6-2, 8-2-1), who fell to Severn last year and Curley the two years before.

"We got beat up and down the ice today," St. Paul's coach Eric Nordstrom said. "They put the pressure on, and we kept coughing up the puck. I have to give them a lot of credit. They played a great game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.