Harford Tech halts Eastern Tech hex by avoiding pin in night's final match

No. 6 Cobras get first win over No. 12 Mavericks


High Schools

February 07, 2003|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Eric Sheibly did his job by not getting pinned.

The Harford Tech 145-pound wrestler withstood a furious assault by Eastern Tech's Mark Weir, whose win in the night's final bout couldn't keep the visiting Cobras from earning a 36-33 dual-meet victory.

The loss ended a nine-bout winning streak for the No. 12 Mavericks (12-2), who are 2-1-2 against the four-time Harford County champions. But had Sheibly been flattened, the No. 6 Cobras would have been tied by the Mavericks yet again.

"Coach [Gary Siler] said we had never beaten them before," said Sheibly, whose team trailed 27-6 before winning four straight to tie the match at 27-27. "My team was screaming to stay off my back. He [Weir] kept trying to cradle me, but I kept fighting it off."

The Cobras, who received an earlier forfeit to Joe Knight (171), cut the deficit to 27-24 on consecutive pins by Mike Long (103), Harford County champ Eric King (112) and second-ranked Mike Taylor (119). A decision by Ben Sills (125) made it 27-27.

"The pressure was on, and we needed pins," Taylor said. "We went out and got them."

Long led 9-0 before getting his pin, but King trailed 3-0 when he took the Mavericks' Kenny Carter to his back and stuck him there 57 seconds into the second period.

"He had momentum and chose neutral in the second period, but I shot in on his legs," King said. "He tried to fight out of it, but I walked up his body, headlocked him and stuck him."

Fifth-ranked Sills then overcame a 4-0 deficit against state runner-up Chris Clark, scoring five points in the second period - three of them via near-fall - and winning, 7-5, on a reversal in the final 36 seconds.

"We've been friends for a long time, so I know him well," said Sills. "It was as tough as I expected."

The Mavericks led 30-27 after John Mullinix (130) edged Chris Bigdeli, 5-3, on a takedown with 20 seconds left, but the Cobras went up 36-30 on a pin by sixth-ranked Brad Dreyer (135) and a decision by sixth-ranked Josh Taylor (140).

The Mavericks had built an early lead by winning five of the first six bouts. There were first-period pins by Pat Reed (160) and Kenny Berlett (heavyweight), a second-period pin by Jon Delair (189) and one in the third period by Matt Balch (215). In their other win, Justin Schaffer (160) edged Harford Tech's Tony Gibson, 6-3.

"We knew we'd be on top after the upper-weight matches, but we lost a couple at 112 and 125 that could have gone either way," said Delair, whose team could face the Cobras again in Wednesday's 1A-2A North region dual meet. "If we see them again, that would be fine. I'd like another shot at them."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.