Regional Digest


February 01, 2003|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

In Maryland

General Assembly re-elects Kopp as state treasurer

ANNAPOLIS - The General Assembly re-elected Nancy K. Kopp yesterday as the state treasurer.

There wasn't any doubt about the outcome because Kopp was the only candidate in the secret ballot by the 188 members of the General Assembly. She was first elected to the post last year, when the former treasurer, Richard N. Dixon, retired for health reasons.

The treasurer runs the agency that handles billions of dollars of state funds each year, paying bills and investing money.

In Baltimore City

Deputies won't be charged in alleged beating of man

The Baltimore state's attorney's office announced yesterday it will not file criminal charges against sheriff's deputies involved in the alleged beating of a Salvadoran construction worker at Lexington Market in September.

After "careful review" of statements and records, prosecutor A. Thomas Krehely Jr. decided charges are not warranted against the deputies involved in the incident. In a letter dated yesterday, Krehely told Baltimore Sheriff John W. Anderson he is free to "take whatever administrative action you deem appropriate" in the matter.

Anderson has not made any decisions yet, said Maj. Toby Goodwin, chief of operations for the sheriff's office.

Rolando Sanchez, 26, who speaks little English, alleges that he was on a lunch break in the market Sept. 18 when at least 10 deputies attacked him and shot him with stun guns. Sanchez' lawyer, J. Stephen Simms, said the deputies mistook Sanchez for a bank robber they had been chasing.

Lane of JFX will be closed 5 nights for construction

A portion of the northbound Jones Falls Expressway will be reduced to one lane during the night and early-morning hours beginning tomorrow and continuing through Thursday, the city Office of Transportation announced.

The stretch of highway from Madison Street to Howard Street will be reduced to one lane from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., weather permitting, for construction.

In addition, the access ramp from Madison Street to the northbound Jones Falls Expressway will be closed from 8 p.m. tomorrow to 5 a.m. Monday for installation of a concrete barrier. Traffic will be detoured west on Madison Street and north on Charles Street to northbound Jones Falls Expressway.

In Baltimore County

City man, 25, is fatally shot while sitting in automobile

ESSEX - A Northeast Baltimore man was fatally shot early yesterday as he sat in a car parked at the Ross Ridge apartment complex, county police said.

Gordon Manning, 25, of the 5600 block of Force Road in Gardenville was dead when police arrived on the scene of the shooting in the first block of Parham Circle about 12:30 a.m., said Officer Shawn Vinson, a county police spokesman.

Missing girl, 16, found unharmed in Frederick

TOWSON - Anne Luck Hilliard, the 16-year-old Towson girl who has been missing since Jan. 20, was found unharmed yesterday by police in Frederick.

There were no signs of foul play in Hilliard's disappearance, said Officer Shawn Vinson, a Baltimore County police spokesman. She was returned to her parents, who had been searching frantically for their only daughter since last week.

In Frederick County

Training center is faulted in July death of firefighter

FREDERICK - Those in charge of training 13 Frederick County firefighter recruits on a hot and humid July day were too slow to realize they had a medical emergency on their hands when a healthy 23-year-old man collapsed and later died, according to a report by a board of inquiry.

The weather was not suitable for rigorous training on the day of the recruit's death, the program was unfocused, the chain of command at the academy was unclear and the lone trainer was uncertified, according to a report by an eight-man panel released Thursday night. The report also faulted the Frederick County Public Safety Training Center for allowing the recruit group to train without frequent water breaks and without communications or first-aid equipment.

Andrew J. Waybright of Gettysburg, Pa., died of hyperthermia, at 9:21 a.m. July 3, less than an hour after he was overcome while working out with his class at the training center.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.