Arundel Digest

ARUNDEL DIGEST

January 29, 2003

Del. Rzepkowski named House chief deputy whip

Del. James E. Rzepkowski was selected Monday as chief deputy whip for the House of Delegates Republican caucus, making him the only Anne Arundel delegate on the House Republican leadership team.

Rzepkowski, who represents District 32 in northern Anne Arundel County, will work with Republicans to coordinate the party platform.

Female firefighter sues Annapolis for alleged bias

The first female promoted to the rank of firefighter first class in the Annapolis Fire Department is suing the city, alleging that she was passed over for training opportunities in the male-dominated department because of her gender.

Deborah Imhof, who filed the lawsuit Friday, joined the department in October 1992. In her lawsuit, she claims that discrimination began five years later.

After filing an Equal Employment Opportunity complaint with the city in February 2001, Imhof, who later filed a federal complaint, claims that she was harassed in retaliation. Her lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of lost wages and compensatory damages.

Wood stove blamed for Annapolis fire

More than 50 firefighters responded to a fire at a farm and scrap yard at 2654 Riva Road in Annapolis yesterday afternoon. Preliminary estimates put the damage at more than $10,000 in damage, officials said.

Property owner Raymond Bausum, who suffered minor burns, told Anne Arundel County fire officials that a fire in a wood stove in a silo office burned out of control. It spread to another silo and then to a nearby barn, said fire Division Chief John M. Scholz.

Fire crews were called about 1 p.m., and it took more than an hour to bring the fire under control. Fighting the blaze was difficult because of the large amount of debris spread around the property, Scholz said. Concerns about possible pesticides in the barn also prompted county hazardous materials crews and Maryland Department of the Environment officials to conduct tests, which were negative.

The 1920s-era barn was destroyed. County building officials evaluate the structural integrity of the concrete silos, Scholz said.

Fire at vacant Deale house causes $50,000 in damage

A blaze at a vacant house in Deale took 43 firefighters about an hour to bring under control yesterday afternoon, a county fire spokesman said.

The fire, caused by faulty electrical wiring, began about 4:30 p.m. No injuries were reported. No one lived in the house in the 700 block of Mimosa Cove Road. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.