Uneven performance ends in 3-3 tie for St. Joe

DeMatha scores 3 straight to erase Gaels' 3-0 lead

Hockey notebook

January 21, 2003|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Most fans at yesterday's DeMatha-Mount St. Joseph Tier I hockey game at the Gardens Ice House in Laurel will remember a hard-fought, 3-3 tie. To the Gaels, the game will be remembered as the one that got away.

Mount St. Joseph took a 3-0 lead, only to allow the Stags to creep back into the game before finally tying it with 28 seconds left.

"We stopped playing," said Gaels captain Anthony Dinoto. "We got the big lead, and then we stopped doing the things we need to do to win."

The Gaels were opportunistic early. Their first goal, scored by Patrick Noonan on a rebound just 4:04 into the game, came just one second after a DeMatha penalty had expired.

Mount St. Joseph (12-1-2, 2-0-1) increased the lead to 2-0 on a power-play goal just 1:45 later, when Dinoto used a screen to beat Stags goalie Richard Sillery on a tip-in.

Early in the second period, the Gaels cashed in on another power play. Nick Reich put in a rebound off a shot by Matthew Nedzel to run the score to 3-0 with 12:12 left.

The Stags (15-11-1, 6-0-1), who defeated the Gaels, 5-1, in last season's Maryland Scholastic Hockey League Tier I championship, cut the lead to 3-1 on a goal by Chris Sams with 10:18 left in the second period. Bobby Plant then took advantage of a defensive mistake by the Gaels to score on a short-handed breakaway with 6:41 left in the second period.

The Gaels' defense stiffened in the third period, largely due to the play of goalie Jerry Chernock, who recorded 23 of his 42 saves in the final period.

After killing off a DeMatha power play with 1:26 remaining, it appeared the Gaels would run out the clock. That's when DeMatha's Chris Chambers made the play of the night.

"I made the save, and I cleared the puck to my right," said Chernock. "He knocked it out of the air, and one-timed it though a very small area. It was a great shot."

Said Gaels coach Erv Terwilliger: "We've been harping on them to play basic, fundamental hockey, and we didn't do it. Nothing fancy cost us the game. We just didn't execute the fundamentals."

Dinoto said the tie was a disappointment, but not unexpected.

"We have a great rivalry with them, so you never know what will happen," said Dinoto. "This just shows us how much harder we need to work, because I have a feeling we'll be seeing them again."

MIAA B race tightens

Boys' Latin (6-2-2, 5-1) defeated rival St. Paul's, 4-2, in a Jan. 13 match of the MIAA B Conference's last two unbeatens.

Trey Sheain, Drew Peace and Dan Good scored second-period goals to pace Boys' Latin, which has beaten every team in the conference once.

But Friday, the Lakers dropped a 4-0 decision to Gilman at Ice World.

"It was a game they had to have, and they played great," said Lakers coach Gene Ubriaco. "We came out flat, and they took advantage of that. Friday was not indicative of how we play."

The loss means that Boys' Latin, St. Paul's and Severn all have one loss in the league. Severn and St. Paul's, however, still must play each other twice (on Jan. 29 and Feb. 3). The league title may come down to the last game of the season on Feb. 7, when Boys' Latin and St. Paul's meet again.

Games to watch

Thursday: Loyola vs. Spalding at Piney Orchard, 4:15 p.m. Friday: St. Paul's vs. Gilman at Ice World, 3:45 p.m.; Old Mill vs. Broadneck at Benfield, 3:45 p.m.; Loyola vs. Calvert Hall at Ice World, 5:15 p.m.; Easton vs. Severna Park at Benfield, 5:30 p.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.