Mt. Hebron earns win in OT, 78-75

Missed free throws cost Wilde Lake shot at upset

Boys basketball

High School

January 16, 2003|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Mount Hebron encountered an impressive Wilde Lake full-court press, and the second-place Vikings barely came away with a 78-75 win in overtime yesterday.

Missed free throws by Wilde Lake at the end of regulation cost the host Wildecats the victory.

"We knew this would be one of our toughest games," said Mount Hebron point guard Aaron Rei-White. "This is the roughest gym to play in, and we lost here last year."

Mount Hebron (8-3, 6-1 league) won on the late-game play of Rei-White, Marc Carroll and Sean Velasquez. Drew Meyers and Jerry Calixte also played big roles.

Meyers and Velasquez each scored 19 points. Rei-White and Carroll each scored 14. Meyers led with eight rebounds to Calixte's seven.

Rei-White scored six of Mount Hebron's last 10 points in overtime, and Carroll scored four.

Carroll made a key rebound off a missed Mount Hebron free throw with nine seconds left in overtime and, after being fouled, sank both free throws for a 78-75 lead with seven seconds left.

The Wildecats rallied twice, from a 13-point deficit after one quarter, and from a 10-point deficit in the third quarter, pulling ahead for the first time 59-56 with 2:20 to play on a three-point basket by Kevin Showe.

Showe, who didn't start, hit another three-pointer to make it 62-56 with 1:46 to play in regulation. He scored a season-high 27 points and sank five three-pointers.

Brandon Graham scored 17 points and Sean Howard had 15 for Wilde Lake.

At the end of regulation, Velasquez saved the game by hitting a three-pointer with 1:46 to play, a layup at 1:09 and two free throws with one second left.

Wilde Lake (3-8, 2-7) collapsed at the free-throw line in the final 17 seconds of regulation, missing the front end of two one-and-ones, missing two free throws after a technical foul on Vikings coach Mike Linsenmeyer and then making only one of two free throws with six seconds left.

"Needless to say, we'll be practicing free throws at the next practice," said Wildecats coach Phil Chenier. "We battled back and I'm proud of the guys and pleased with our effort. We have to learn how to win these games. We came out as flat as can be, before getting our energy back and giving ourselves a chance to win."

Wilde Lake sank just one of nine shots in the first quarter and fell behind 17-4.

But Mount Hebron turned it over on their first five possessions of the second quarter, and made 21 turnovers in all against a relentless Wildecats press.

"I was disappointed with our defense, and our offense missed 17 layups, but I was proud we found a way to win," said Linsenmeyer.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.