Prosecution to play tape of call for help

Cherry Hill man was fatally shot moments after dialing 911

January 04, 2003|By Laurie Willis | Laurie Willis,SUN STAFF

Dwight R. Love sensed trouble as he walked by a group of men in Cherry Hill. So he called 911. Seconds later, a city emergency dispatcher heard the four shots that fatally wounded Love, a chef at Tony Roma's in Owings Mills.

The prosecution plans to play a tape-recording of Love's call in court Monday in the murder trial of Kenneth Sutton, 22, of the 700 block of Deacon Hill Court.

He's one of two Cherry Hill men police believe killed Love, who was 28.

Earlier this week, Korey Mable, 22, of the 800 block of Roundview Road was convicted of second-degree murder in Love's death.

Mable is scheduled for sentencing Jan. 27 before Baltimore Circuit Judge John M. Glynn, who is also presiding at Sutton's jury trial.

Love, who lived in the 3400 block of Round Road in Cherry Hill, was shot four times as he walked near his home about 11 p.m. Jan. 29, 2001.

Police have said the shooting was the result of a longtime neighborhood dispute.

"Right now, the family's just waiting for justice to be done," one of Love's sisters, Jackie Anderson, said yesterday outside the courtroom.

"Nothing anyone can say or do can change the fact that my brother's dead. His children are still here. They're fatherless," she said.

Anderson carried photos of Love and his children, daughters 9 and 4, and sons 5 and 2, in her purse yesterday.

"The 4-year-old didn't have a mother," she said. "He was raising her on his own, and now she doesn't have a mother or a father."

Margaret Roberts insisted that Sutton, her grandson, didn't kill Love. So did his mother, Teresa Sutton. Both attended the trial yesterday.

"My son is innocent," Teresa Sutton said. "They don't have no evidence on him. He's been in jail for two years for something he did not do."

Yesterday, on cross examination, homicide Detective Robert Cherry testified that the weapon used in Love's shooting, found two months after the slaying, wasn't tested for prints. Cherry said he didn't have it tested because he knew several people had handled it since the shooting.

The gun was found by children in a nearby playground. They gave it to their mother, who called police.

Cherry also testified that an eyewitness to the shooting picked Sutton from a photo array.

Defense attorney Todd Hyatt emphasized in cross examination that the first officer on the scene wrote in his report that there was one suspect. Cherry said that was true, initially, but as he continued investigating he learned that there were two assailants.

Cherry also testified - on direct examination by Assistant State's Attorney Gerard B. Volatile - that the first name he was given by witnesses was Sutton's.

Hyatt tried to raise questions about the weapon used to kill Love. Ballistics experts have determined it was a black, 9 mm handgun.

But the Police Department's main eyewitnesses - and an earlier police report about the shooting - said it was silver in color. The case resumes Monday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.