Hebron regains footing fast, 3-0

Controlling Wilde Lake earns region semifinal

Field hockey

High schools

October 25, 2002|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

As long as the ninth-ranked Mount Hebron field hockey team gets out of the first minute unscathed it tends to be all right.

For the second time this week the Vikings were shaky in the opening 60 seconds, but this time they recovered for a dominating 3-0 victory over host Wilde Lake in a 3A North region quarterfinal game yesterday in Columbia.

Third-seeded Mount Hebron (10-1-2), which extended its unbeaten streak to nine games, will next travel to second-seeded South Carroll for a North region semifinal game on Tuesday.

Much like in Mount Hebron's 1-1 tie with Glenelg on Monday that clinched the Howard County League championship, the Vikings struggled right at the start. Against the Gladiators, Mount Hebron allowed a goal just 57 seconds in. Yesterday afternoon, Wilde Lake (6-8-1) had its best opportunity 35 seconds in when Natalie Hopkins took a shot from 7 yards that Kristina Schweizer knocked away with her leg.

"They were definitely not intimidated," said Mount Hebron senior Julie Laun, who had two assists. "I wouldn't say we were overconfident, because we were [against Glenelg] and kind of got a surprise."

After the Wildecats' early opportunity, however, it was all Mount Hebron. The Vikings outshot Wilde Lake 20-2, including 14-0 in the second half, and had a 17-6 edge in penalty corners. Senior leading scorer Ali Lemons scored her 14th goal and had her ninth assist of the season, and seniors Emily Hengemihle and Emily Goldman each added goals.

The score could have been far more lopsided had it not been for Wilde Lake goalie Marie Bounds, who made 13 saves.

"We seem to be a second-half team," Lemons said. "We're really working on trying to come out strong in the beginning, because pretty much all season we come out kind of slow. I think we came out a little bit faster today."

It did not take Mount Hebron long to turn the game around after Wilde Lake's initial scoring chance. Hengemihle opened the scoring a little more than three minutes in off a pass from Lemons on the left side of the cage. Lemons scored to make it 2-0 with 4:29 to play in the half off a pass from Laun.

The Vikings then dominated the second half, holding possession in the Wilde Lake shooting circle for neary the entire 30 minutes. Mount Hebron had 11 penalty corners to just one for the Wildecats after halftime.

"They're a real strong program and we gave them everything we had," Wilde Lake coach Laurie Donnelly said. "I really think they have the potential to go through to the states."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.