No. 3 Glenelg secures Howard title

Coble goal on throw-in clips Wilde Lake in OT, 1-0

Boys soccer

October 23, 2002|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Gary Coble, with an assist from Josh Burford, scored the game-winning goal in the first minute of sudden-death overtime to give the third-ranked Gladiators a 1-0 win and the outright Howard County championship yesterday at Glenelg.

The Gladiators thwarted Wilde Lake's hope of creating a possible four-way tie for the title on the last day of the regular season.

As it turned out, had No. 15 Wilde Lake won, it would have shared the title with Glenelg and River Hill. Centennial lost its chance, because it tied Atholton yesterday, 0-0.

Close games have been rare for Glenelg's dominating offense, which entered yesterday's game with a 3.4 goal-scoring average.

But Wilde Lake played one of its finest games of the season, becoming only the second team to hold the Gladiators (12-2 overall, 8-1 league) to one goal.

"We usually jump on teams quick, but Wilde Lake proved to be one of the better teams in the county," said Glenelg coach Peter Klisas, whose team won its first county championship. "[Coach] Dave [Nesbitt] has done a great job."

The game-winning play began with a long throw-in by Matt Showman. It was knocked out to Burford, Glenelg's top scorer with 15 goals and six assists, and with his back to the goal he faked inside to his left, then turned right and took the ball to the touch line before centering it across the goal mouth.

"I was on the line and didn't see a green leg, just a lot of white jerseys, so I thought it would go through," Burford said.

Coble, a junior who also had the game-winning goal against River Hill last Thursday, said: "Kyle Beliczky was right behind me yelling for me to finish it. I hit it with the top of the toe on my left foot. I was in the center and the goalkeeper was to my left, so I hit it right. He touched it a bit with his hand.

"Wilde Lake made us work as hard as we could."

Glenelg outshot Wilde Lake in the first half, 8-2, when the Wildecats went with one striker.

The Wildecats (8-3, 6-3) switched to three strikers in the second half and each team took six shots that half.

"It was an even match and we had our chances," Nesbitt said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.