Tie earns Hebron Howard crown

Vikings play Glenelg even in double overtime, 1-1

Field hockey

October 22, 2002|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

It was not exactly the way field hockey teams envision clinching a championship, but it counted just the same.

Ninth-ranked Mount Hebron held off a furious rally by 12th-ranked Glenelg in double overtime to preserve a 1-1 draw and take the Howard County League title outright yesterday afternoon at Wilde Lake. Had the Gladiators scored off one of their eight penalty corners in the final 10 minutes, the two teams would have been co-champions.

Mount Hebron (9-1-2 overall, 8-0-1 county) won its first county title since 1997 and third in the 13-year stint of coach Jeannette Ireland.

"We deserve it," said Mount Hebron senior Maria Bosica, who scored the game-tying goal with 24:45 remaining in the second half. "We shouldn't downplay our success. We were definitely hoping for a win today. We did everything we could do and came away with the championship, so that's all you can ask for."

Mount Hebron sophomore goalie Kristina Schweizer made two of her four saves in the second overtime. But in the first overtime, it was Glenelg sophomore goalie Alyson Blum who kept her team alive.

Blum, who has allowed just two goals this season, made four of her nine saves in that overtime, as Mount Hebron held the ball in the Glenelg half of the field almost the entire 10 minutes.

Glenelg (10-0-3, 6-0-3) had taken a 1-0 lead just 57 seconds into the game when senior forward Kristen Krauss put in her own rebound. The Gladiators, who have outscored opponents 39-4 this season, controlled much of the first half, outshooting Mount Hebron 5-0 in the opening 18 minutes.

But Mount Hebron, which has outscored its opponents 47-6, recorded the game's next seven shots, and with 27:57 remaining in the second half, the Vikings were awarded a penalty stroke when Glenelg smothered the ball inside the shooting circle. Blum, however, stopped Vikings senior Emily Goldman.

Mount Hebron kept the pressure on and tied the score a little more than three minutes later when Bosica slapped in her 11th goal of the season from 4 yards in front of the cage on the right side.

"They definitely took us by surprise in the first minute or so when they came down and scored," Bosica said. "On my goal I saw a little space between the post and the goalie and I managed to slip it by her. When you hear the ball smack that cage, that's the best sound in the world."

The Vikings nearly won the game in the final 30 seconds of regulation, but a shot by team leading scorer Ali Lemons hit the far post.

"They didn't beat us, so they didn't prove that they're better than us," Blum said. "They got the title, but they haven't beaten us so we're just as good."

No. 8 Hereford 2, No. 1 Towson 1: Danielle Wacker polished off a diagonal pass from Katherine Giauque for the game-winner with 11:32 to go, lifting the Bulls (11-2) past the Generals (12-1) in the Baltimore County championship game.

Hereford, which lost, 2-1, to Towson on Oct. 5, dominated possession yesterday with its short passing game, outshooting the Generals 16-5 and mounting a 17-3 advantage in penalty corners.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.