Dogged Calvert Hall nips McDonogh, 3-2

2nd Pardew goal decisive in final seconds

McHugh scores both Eagles goals

Boys soccer

High School

October 18, 2002|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Top-ranked Calvert Hall dodged a last-minute soccer defeat yesterday, then with seconds left in steady rain in Owings Mills, shocked No. 7 McDonogh, 3-2, on a counterattacking, second-effort goal by senior forward Ben Pardew.

With the score tied 2-2 in the 80th minute, McDonogh's leading scorer, Kyle McHugh, settled a pass from sophomore Matt Beckman in the penalty box and had a clear, 8-yard shot.

But McHugh, who had earlier scored his 14th and 15th goals of the season on outstanding individual efforts, fired directly at Calvert Hall goalkeeper Greg Boone, who made the save.

Calvert Hall (14-0-2, 12-0 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference) immediately rushed to the other end of the field, with junior Ryan Callinan hitting Pardew with a long pass from the right to the left flank.

Pardew's initial shot hit the near post, but he tracked the rebound and fired his second shot in the net.

"When it hit the post, I didn't think twice," said Pardew, who also scored twice. "I just kept going. There was no reason to slow down, so I followed it up and put it away."

McDonogh (12-4-2, 7-2-2) had held a decisive edge in possession and scoring opportunities in the first half.

The Eagles outshot the Cardinals 8-2 in the opening 40 minutes and 14-9 for the game.

And in the 40th minute, McDonogh broke through on its eighth shot to take a 1-0 lead with McHugh beating a defender with a quick dribble to his right and Boone to the far post.

"We dictated the play in the first half but had only one goal to show for it," said McDonogh coach Steve Nichols. "The breaks didn't fall our way, but whether the breaks fall your way or not, two goals should be enough to win."

Play was more even in the second half, as both teams struggled on the slick, soaked field.

Calvert Hall tied the score at 1-1 in the 48th minute on a shot by senior Will Bach, who placed a bouncing ball into the upper left corner from 22 yards.

In the 70th minute, Pardew scored his first goal - a rebound off McDonogh goalkeeper Alex Horwath's diving save of a shot by Sid Blevins - to put the Cardinals ahead 2-1.

McDonogh, however, tied the score moments later on another McHugh blast to the far post. But McHugh could not put away chances in the 75th and final minute, and the Cardinals capitalized in the end.

"Our kids do not lose their focus, no matter what the situation is," Calvert Hall coach Andy Moore said. "It's great to have kids like that."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.