Fallston runs down Aberdeen, 18-7

5 combine for 275 yards in handing Eagles 1st loss


October 15, 2002|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Fallston coach Dave Cesky didn't have a nickname for an offensive line whose average size is 6 feet 1, 240 pounds. But he had no problem coming up with one after its overpowering effort in last night's 18-7 victory at previously unbeaten Aberdeen in a Harford County league game.

"Let's call them the Wedge Machine," said Cesky, who watched five runners combine for 275 yards behind Wes Hopkins, Brad Kilkowski, Dan Vasqez, Todd Baker and Kurt Chenowith. "We worked on the wedge because of the wet weather, and they really had confidence firing off behind it."

In a balanced league, the win has the Cougars (3-3 overall) in a deadlock with the Eagles (4-1), 12th-ranked Joppatowne (5-1), North Harford (4-2), Edgewood (4-2) and Havre de Grace (3-3) - all at 2-1 in league play.

"We just wanted to line up and play smash-mouth football," said Tom Schreufer, who rushed for 104 yards on 20 carries. "It's a big win for us."

Fallston took a 6-0 lead with 4:58 left in the first half after Schreufer's 2-yard run capped a 17-play, 77-yard drive. The Cougars, who trailed, 7-6, at halftime, led, 12-7, with 11:56 to play after Bryan Hughes (91 yards, 23 carries) ended a 16-play, 74-yard drive with his 1-yard run.

Nathan Bachman scored Fallston's last touchdown from 1-yard out, ending a 12-play, 47-yard drive with 4:01 to play. Bachman helped to set up the drive, causing a fumble that Schreufer recovered. Kevin Jans also recovered a fumble.

Aberdeen took its only lead 20 seconds before halftime after Dejan Brown's 14-yard scoring reception from Erin Henderson (5-for-11, 85 yards) was followed by Cody Martin's extra-point kick to end a 10-play, 86-yard drive.

In the march, Henderson was 3-for-5 for 53 yards, including a 36-yard pass to Devron Galloway that put the ball at Fallston's 30-yard line. Facing fourth-and-one at Fallston's 21, Henderson ran for 5 yards and a first down. Two plays later, he connected with Brown on third-and-seven.

Henderson rushed for 30 yards and three first downs and as a linebacker had a sack. But Henderson was slowed by a re-injured ankle midway through the second period, and did not return to the defense until late in the game.

"You've got to be tough enough to stop the run, and we couldn't do it," said Aberdeen coach Joe Harbert. "We controlled our destiny, but now it's all locked up in the county."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.