Dunbar's defense delivers in 12-0 win

Selby helps Poets avenge last year's loss to Carver


High Schools

October 12, 2002|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

The Dunbar football team had been thinking about avenging a loss last season to Carver. The lyrics of James Brown, the "Father of Soul," seemed to put the Poets in the proper frame of mind.

The defense of host Dunbar stepped forward to shut down the Bears' potent offense in a 12-0 victory yesterday.

"We've been talking all week about the big payback, and I've been playing James Brown's CD [The Payback] in the locker room to give the kids some motivation," said Dunbar coach Ben Eaton.

"We fell apart in the second half of last year's game."

A late safety gave Carver a 16-14 victory last season, but the Poets' defense wasn't about to let it happen yesterday.

Led by sophomore linebacker Darren Moore, and quick-to-the-ball defensive backs Kevin Vaughn, Earl Chapman and Herman Hayes, No. 12 Dunbar shut out Carver's offense while quarterback Byron Selby paced the offense.

Selby threw for one touchdown and raced 58 yards for another with 2:16 left in the game as the Poets ran their record to 6-0.

"It was a matter of executing today and keeping down the mistakes because of the weather," said Eaton of the steady rain that fell most of the game, creating field conditions that left both teams caked in mud.

Quarterback Aaron Stokes, who came in with 658 yards and eight touchdowns, did not get the Bears into the red zone.

"The conditions hampered our speed on the outside and a lot of things we can usually do," said Carver coach Ronald Frierson. "So, we were basically forced to run between the tackles."

Carver's all-purpose backs, Anthony Mason and Shawn Wooden, were stymied by Moore and a Poets defensive line that clogged the middle.

Vaughn sacked Stokes on a safety blitz in the first quarter, and Hayes intercepted him. Vaughn also blocked two punts.

The first set up the Poets' initial score. It gave Dunbar a first down at the Bears' 28. After a short run by Eric Valentine, who left with a shoulder injury in the third quarter, Selby was sacked.

On third-and-13 from the 32, Selby rolled to his right and connected with Hayes for a touchdown with 1:20 left in the half. The conversion run failed.

Late in the game, the Poets took over at their own 42. Selby then delivered the payoff by going 58 yards for the score.

"We had been running an unbalanced line and they had been shifting out and the play wasn't designed for me to run, but me being smart, I noticed there wasn't a middle linebacker," Selby said.

"I just broke it for the game-winning touchdown on our homecoming. It was the big payback."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.