Old Mill starts fast, doesn't let up, 7-1

Patriots show no sign of rust against Arundel

Boys soccer

High Schools

October 11, 2002|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

It didn't matter that they had to wait for a double-overtime girls soccer game to end, then had to play in a driving rain at Bob Golliday Memorial Field in Millersville.

The Old Mill boys came out on an offensive tear last night and rolled to a 7-1 soccer victory over visiting Arundel last night.

The Patriots (8-1-2) didn't play like a team that had not been on a soccer field since last week. All school activities were called off the first three days of this week because of the sniper shootings in the Washington area.

"I was concerned about not practicing, but both teams were in the same situation," said Old Mill coach Jeff Martin. "I'm really pleased with the way they came out and took control of the game."

The Patriots dominated from start to finish, taking 24 shots to just four by the Wildcats, and consistently won most of the balls.

Arundel (7-4) showed considerable rust. After Old Mill took a 4-0 halftime lead, the Wildcats never got into the game. And they have to come right back and play at home tonight against No. 7 Severna Park (8-2-1).

"We came out in the first 10 minutes and played hard, and we hadn't done that in the last couple games, " said Old Mill senior striker Wijy Jones, who got things going by scoring his first of two goals in the first three minutes of play.

After Matt Rozanski assisted Jones to give Old Mill a 1-0 lead, Jones fed Jason Stern up top and the latter made it 2-0 in the 26th minute.

About seven minutes later, it was 3-0 Old Mill as Ryan Payne sent the ball to Jones, who finished. Just 30 seconds before the half, Justin McCready scored his first of two goals, leaving Arundel visibly dejected.

When Daniel Bulls made it 5-0 in the first 10 minutes of the second half and McCready scored his second nine minutes later, it was obvious Arundel wasn't going to make any miracle runs.

"I thought our defense played really well and kept them off the board," said Martin, who cited several defenders - Andrew Fach, Andrew Appelbaum and Ryan Payne - and his keeper, Tim Carrier.

Fach did a superb job marking Arundel's talented striker, James Agorsor, keeping him from scoring in the first half, when it was still a game.

"Our defense has changed a lot from last year, and when we use the midfield we're unstoppable," Fach said.

Arundel's only goal, from Mike McQuarrie, came with about 16 minutes left to make it 6-1.

Old Mill's Jai Jani closed the scoring in the waning moments.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.