Patterson rallies past Poly for 4-3 win

Down 3-1, Robinson's OT goal caps comeback

Boys soccer

October 10, 2002|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

As the lone returning starter for the two-time defending Baltimore City boys soccer champs, Patterson's Josh Robinson has made it his responsibility to make sure his team remains a winner.

The senior midfielder did that two minutes into overtime of yesterday's come-from-behind, 4-3 victory over visiting Poly, lifting a left-footed, 25-yard shot over the goalkeeper's out-stretched hands in city league action.

The game was similar to Patterson's earlier 2-1 loss at Poly in which the Clippers (6-1 overall, 6-1 league) trailed 2-0 at halftime and Robinson's second-half goal was too little, too late.

"They came out in the first game and really dominated us in the first half. We got that one play from Josh Robinson where he took the ball half the length of the field and scored, but we couldn't turn it around," said Patterson's first-year coach, John Miller.

"Down 3-1 today, things looked pretty bad for us. But that little run in the second half saved us. I'd seen them do it in practice, but they surprised me with it today."

The comeback began five minutes before halftime when Poly's Romeo Toe made it 2-1 with an unassisted goal. A minute later, however, the Engineers led 3-1 after Luciano Brunetti's second goal of the game.

But Robinson wouldn't let his team quit.

"I gave them a speech. I told them, `If we don't do it now, we aren't going to do it,' " Robinson said. "This time, we kept our heads in the game."

Off the second half kickoff, Patterson's Prince Kanda raced in on a ball and caught keeper John Turwy, who had committed to the right, with a shot into the opposite corner. The goal took 13 seconds.

One minute and 32 seconds later, Kanda ran to the same spot. Turwy deflected his shot this time, but couldn't recover to stop Matt Robinson's game-tying follow from 5 yards out.

"I told my backs to keep depth, but they didn't listen and Patterson was able to play the ball right past them," Poly coach Bob Wood said. "Patterson did a good job and they deserved to win."

If not for the play of Patterson keeper Marion Zarro, who made eight of his 13 saves in the first half, the game might have been a rout for Poly (7-4, 6-1). Patterson was outshot 15-4 in the half, but a diving Zarro denied Brunetti three times and Guy Bondima once.

The Engineers led, 1-0, in the 20th minute after Jeremy Wood curled his 18-yard direct kick from the left side of the goal into the far right corner. The play was made possible because of a foul by Zarro, who was yellow-carded and replaced by a reserve.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.