S. Carroll closes in on title after blanking Westminster

Boys soccer

October 09, 2002|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

In a game brimming with county implications, the South Carroll boys soccer team used a first-half goal by forward Kevin Weschler and a little bit of luck to trip host Westminster last night.

The Cavaliers added a second-half goal by Travis Skinner on a roller that uncharacteristically skirted through the hands of goalie Todd Siwinski, then benefited from a non-call after a shot by the Owls' Chris Honeman appeared to roll a foot over the goal line before being cleared with 4:30 left in a 2-0 win.

It could have been a repeat of last month's 1-1 overtime affair. Instead, it was a sweet victory for the Cavaliers, who put the county championship firmly in their clutches.

"We knew we had to win this game to win counties," Weschler said. "It was all or nothing."

South Carroll (4-2-1, 2-0-1) is the only Carroll County team without a county loss, with games remaining against Liberty on Oct. 17 and Francis Scott Key Oct. 21. Wins or ties in both will give the Cavaliers the county title.

"It was important because now we're not relying on someone to beat Westminster for us," South Carroll coach Wes Haroldson said. "Now, it's up to us. Everything lays on our shoulders."

Westminster (2-5-1, 2-1-1) controlled play early, nearly taking the lead on several occasions, including an apparent goal by Honeman waved off for offside midway through the first half and a shot by Matt Duke moments later that bounced off the far post.

It was South Carroll, however, that finally got one in.

After a direct kick, Erik Vollmerhausen's header bounced off the crossbar. A flurry ensued in front of the net, with Westminster trying to clear the ball twice before Weschler took the rebound from his own shot and scored on a high header with 3:21 left in the half.

The Cavaliers took the final four shots of the half and continued to dominate play for much of the second half.

"We knew that they were going to come out fast like they always do, and we were just hoping they were going to tire," Haroldson said. "That's why we tried to spread the ball as much as possible. Then we could kick it in [to high gear] ourselves."

Said Weschler: "They were beating us to the ball, and we knew we had to step up."

South Carroll took a 2-0 lead with 20:21 left, after the Owls failed to clear the ball from the corner, leading to Skinner's goal from about 15 yards in front.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.