Towson is still the one after beating Hereford

Top-ranked Generals earn 2-1 win in overtime

Field hockey

High Schools

October 06, 2002|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Towson forward Jocelyn Paul never expected to score on a penalty corner in overtime, but when a loose ball gave her the chance, she nailed it.

Paul's shot, off a broken corner play, sailed high over Hereford goalie Amanda Polley's left shoulder with 3:05 to go in sudden-death overtime, giving the No. 1 Generals a 2-1 field hockey victory yesterday over No. 9 Hereford.

The Generals' fourth corner play in the 10-minute seven-on-seven overtime was designed for Hayley Mershon, who had scored earlier off Erin Walsch's corner pass. Mershon took the shot, but Hereford's Sarah Tracey made a stick save. Paul pounced on the loose ball.

"I was like, `Oh my God, there's an open ball,' and I just went to it," Paul said.

Tracey got there, too.

"I stopped the ball," Tracey said, "but with the force of Jocelyn hitting it and my stick being there, it kind of went to the side past me. I really don't know how the ball got in the air. I turned around, and I saw it hit the top of the net."

Paul was just as surprised: "I wasn't expecting that shot to go in, but it went in and I think I jumped a million feet in the air."

Hereford coach Tammy Mundie said she thought the goal should not have been allowed because it flew so high in the air.

"I thought it was a dangerous hit," Mundie said. "We had two called back the other day, and they didn't even go that high. The official said that it was high, but it went off my player's stick and that's why it counted. But it didn't go off my player's stick."

Still, Mundie and the Bulls (7-2, 6-1 division) weren't too upset. Although the win gives the Generals (10-0, 7-0) sole possession of first place in Baltimore County's Heron Division, the two could meet again in the county championship and the regional tournament.

A year ago, the Generals won the first two, but Hereford got revenge in a regional final shootout. The Bulls went on to share the Class 2A state crown.

Yesterday, the Bulls got the jump on Towson when Danielle Wacker deflected in a pass from Krista Wisner seven minutes into the game. Mershon tied it 6:18 before the half.

No. 5 Garrison Forest 1, No. 7 St. Paul's 0: Kirby Houck scored in the first five minutes and the Grizzlies held off six St. Paul's shots and nine penalty corners during the final 15 minutes to make the margin hold up.

The loss was the first in the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference for the host Gators (7-2-1, 4-1). The Grizzlies (7-1-1, 5-1-1) have not lost since dropping their season opener at No. 2 Severn.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.