Roland Park surprises second-ranked Severn, 2-1

Reds end scoring drought, hand Admirals first loss

Field hockey

High Schools

October 02, 2002|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Roland Park's field hockey team picked the perfect time to break out of a scoring drought.

The No. 13 Reds, who managed one goal in their previous six games, got two from sophomore forward Lawrie Peck yesterday to upset previously unbeaten and No. 2 Severn, 2-1, in an Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference contest.

"We were just stuck in a hole. We couldn't score and we weren't confident," said Peck. "It's not good to be overconfident, but now we're at the point where we know we can do it."

The visiting Admirals (8-1-1, 6-1) had allowed only three goals coming into yesterday's game. But after they threatened a couple of times in the first four minutes, Roland Park dominated the next 45 minutes. The Reds outshot Severn 12-2 and had a 12-1 edge in penalty corners during that stretch.

Peck said the Reds (3-3-3, 2-1-2) have been frustrated because they've been able to create scoring opportunities but not finish them. After Monday's 1-0 loss to No. 5 Garrison Forest, the Reds discussed why they were going into games with little intensity.

"We would get down a goal at the beginning of a game and then we'd struggle," said senior midfielder Meg Ferguson. "We'd be playing more reactively than proactively, so something really important in this game was that we were hungry from the very beginning, wanting to get that goal, wanting to be up and get a cushion, so we wouldn't be struggling back for the rest of the game."

Peck scored her first goal on a corner play 13:18 before halftime. Severn defender Anna Bovill made a fine last-ditch effort to save the ball, but it deflected off her stick into the cage.

Severn's Schuyler Sutton tied the game on a terrific one-on-one effort with 31 seconds left in the half, pulling Reds goalie Shannon Burke right and firing behind her. But four minutes into the second half, Peck plucked a ball off the goal line for the game winner.

During a Severn chain of eight corners in 4 1/2 minutes late in the half, Sutton thought she scored the tying goal, deflecting in a ball off a long free hit, but the official ruled that she had not touched it.

"We'll definitely learn from this," said Sutton. "We were on a roll, and that feels great, but a loss is going to help us want it even more. They're a good team, and we shouldn't look down on this."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.