Archdiocese's list of clergy accused of child sexual abuse

September 26, 2002

The following is a list of priests and brothers who have served in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and have been accused of child sexual abuse, according to church officials. The list includes some men who have admitted abusing children, as well as some who have denied any improper conduct. A number of the allegations cannot be corroborated, according to the archdiocese. In a few instances, the archdiocese said, it excluded allegations from the list when an investigation concluded that the facts did not indicate that sexual abuse occurred.

This list also does not include 26 priests and brothers about whom the archdiocese received reports of sexual abuse after their death. Those reports involve two cases of alleged abuse in the 1930s, a number of incidents in the 1940s through 1960s, and one case each from the 1970s and early 1980s. While the archdiocese said it had no reason to disbelieve the victims, officials said they decided not to disclose the names of the accused because the archdiocese cannot question them. - Archdiocese of Baltimore

Accused priests of Archdiocese of Baltimore

Thomas Bauernfeind

In 1987, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Thomas Bauernfeind in the mid-1970s. Bauernfeind retired in the late 1990s, and in April 2002 his faculties to perform ministry were removed. Bauernfeind served at St. Francis of Assisi (Harford Road) from 1964 to 1968, at Holy Cross in 1968, at the Catholic Center from 1968 to 1978 (while residing at St. Anthony of Padua), at St. Mark (Catonsville) from 1978 to 1979, at St. Lawrence (Woodlawn) from 1979 to 1988, at Our Lady Queen of Peace from 1988 to 1991, at St. Anthony of Padua from 1992 to 1996, at Most Precious Blood from 1995 to 1996 and at St. Alphonsus from 1996 until his retirement in 1998.

Maurice Blackwell

In 1993, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Maurice Blackwell in the early 1990s. This allegation was denied by Blackwell. In 1998, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Blackwell beginning in the late 1960s, and Blackwell admitted the allegation. The archdiocese removed Blackwell's faculties to function as a priest in 1998. In 2002, additional individuals alleged sexual abuse in the 1960s to 1970s. Earlier this year, Blackwell was shot by a man who said he'd been sexually assaulted as a teen-ager by the priest. Blackwell served at St. Bernardine from 1974 to 1979 and at St. Edward from 1979 to 1998.

John Carney

In 1991, an individual alleged sexual abuse by John Carney in the early 1970s. Carney denied the allegation in 1991, but upon being confronted again in 1995 he acknowledged that he had engaged in inappropriate conduct. The archdiocese removed his faculties to perform any ministry at that time. Carney served at Our Lady of Victory from 1963 to 1968 and from 1970 to 1972, at St. Peter (Westernport) from 1968 to 1969 and at St. Philip Neri (Linthicum) from 1969 to 1970. From 1972 to 1982 he served as chaplain at Caton Nursing Home and chaplain at Mount Wilson State Hospital. He resided at St. Clement (Lansdowne) in 1972, at St. Agnes from 1973 to 1977 and at St. Peter (Baltimore) from 1977 to 1981. Carney served as a chaplain at Misericordia Hospital in Philadelphia from 1982 to 1995 while residing at Holy Cross and St. Augustine (Elkridge).

Brian Cox

In 1995, the archdiocese was informed by a third party that Brian Cox had engaged in sexual abuse in 1981. Cox admitted to sexual misconduct with minors from 1979 to 1985. The archdiocese removed his faculties to perform any ministry and placed him on administrative leave. Against the recommendation of the archdiocese, in 1996 Cox returned to Resurrection Farm, a facility not affiliated with the archdiocese. In 1995 and 1996, the archdiocese made numerous public statements about Cox's misconduct, sought information on other possible victims and informed the community that the archdiocese did not approve of Cox's return to Resurrection Farm or the use of Resurrection Farm for any youth activities. In March 2002, another individual alleged sexual abuse by Cox from about 1978 to 1980. Cox was charged with child sexual offenses in May 2002. Cox has had no faculties within the archdiocese since 1995. Cox became a priest of the Archdiocese of Baltimore in 1981. Previously, he had served as a priest of the Josephite religious society at St. Pius V from 1968 to 1973, at Resurrection House from 1970 to 1977, as chaplain at Archbishop Keough High School from 1975 to 1978 and as summer chaplain at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1978. He served at St. John (Westminster) from 1978 to 1989 and assisted at St. John (Westminster) and St. Peter (Libertytown) from 1989 to 1995 while working without assignment from the archdiocese at Resurrection Farm.

James Dowdy

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.