Severn woman missing a week

Police seek clues in case of mentally ill 45-year-old last seen at restaurant

September 17, 2002|By Julie Bykowicz | Julie Bykowicz,SUN STAFF

Four minutes after a 45- year-old Severn woman walked out of Denny's restaurant on Route 175, her mother walked in to look for her, a relative said.

That was about midnight Sept. 10. Almost a week later, no one has heard from Valerie Ann Littleton, and her family believes she may have become the victim of a crime.

"She vanished into thin air," her father, Kingsley Gorman, 70, said yesterday. "I'm convinced it was foul play."

A Denny's employee found her pocketbook - filled with pictures of her 18- and 13-year-old daughters and personal documents including her driver's license - in a trash can at the restaurant the next morning.

County police have labeled the woman "critically missing" because of factors in the police investigation and because of medical problems she has, said Officer Charles Ravenell, a police spokesman.

No solid leads on her whereabouts developed during the weekend, he said.

Littleton suffers from schizophrenia and has been clinically depressed for more than a decade, her father said. She was taking a monthly shot to control her mental problems, he said. She missed her monthly appointment Thursday.

Video surveillance at Denny's, near where Littleton lived with her parents in the 1900 block of Curie Court in Severn, shows her entering the restaurant about 11:40 p.m. Sept. 10 and leaving about 40 minutes later, Gorman said.

The tape also shows her mother, Mildred Gorman, 69, coming in minutes later to look for her, he said.

Littleton had walked to the restaurant after an argument with her mother at their home. Her father, an employee of a US Airways contractor at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, said his wife was still looking for her when he arrived home from work after 12:30 a.m.

Littleton frequented that particular Denny's to order her favorite drink, iced tea, her father said. She used to stop by the restaurant after working a shift at her most recent job at a hotel in Annapolis. She is now unemployed.

Kingsley Gorman said he joined the search and the couple drove up and down local roads, including Route 175 and Citadel Drive. "She is a very trusting person," Gorman said of his daughter. "She has accepted rides from people before."

Littleton told her parents she was raped after hitching a ride from a stranger in 1993, after she had moved in with them following a divorce and custody dispute. Her children live out of state.

Charges were never filed against the man because Littleton refused to undergo a hospital exam, her father said.

Littleton has few friends in the area but is close to her family, her father said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.