Roland Park, Severna Park draw even at Nyborg

No. 4 Reds can't convert on plentiful corners, shots

Field hockey

September 15, 2002|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Both No. 4 Roland Park and No. 7 Severna Park left something unfinished at the Reds' annual Sally E. Nyborg Field Hockey Invitational yesterday.

Neither team managed to score, playing to a 0-0 tie through 50 minutes of regulation and 10 minutes of sudden-death seven-on-seven overtime.

"I don't know if we're hanging back or what. We just aren't as aggressive as we need to be inside the circle," said Roland Park coach Debbie Bloodsworth, whose team had 13 penalty corners and twice as many shots as the Falcons during regulation.

The Reds (1-1-1), however, had to be somewhat relieved to escape with the tie after Severna Park (2-1-2) took four straight penalty corners to finish the overtime period.

Molly Frew cleared away two of those chances and Katie Atkins blocked another.

"At the end, we really had to fight hard," said Frew, a senior back. "Both teams were really tired and we were just trying to give it all we had. We allowed them some corners, but we did well to get it out when we needed to."

To Falcons forward Abbi Horn, there seemed to be no open lanes to the cage on those late corners.

"It seemed like there were two of them to every one of us when we were in the circle," Horn said, "and every time we'd try to get it by, there was another one there."

The Reds seemed to be everywhere during regulation, too, blocking well and using their short passing game to get the better of the Falcons in the open field. But when it came to the circle, they had few good shots at the goal.

Severna Park back Libby Cannon cleared one ball off the goal line in the first half and goalie Liz Tinker made three saves. Reds Meg Ferguson and Caroline Grumbine each sent near misses wide.

Reds keeper Shannon Burke barely touched the ball until the final 11 minutes of the game. With eight minutes to go in regulation, the Falcons had a couple of chances to score with back-to-back corners.

Jenna Reich put the only ball on goal when she batted a high deflection at Burke that was ruled an illegal shot.

The tie, however, wasn't particularly disappointing to either team, especially since both are rebuilding and the season is still young.

"From these games, I don't think anything is truly finished. It's all just a learning and growing experience," said Falcons junior Lauren Maranto.

The Reds' Kiki Law finally put a goal on the board in their second game, but it wasn't enough to beat St. Stephen's/St.Agnes, the dominant team of the round-robin tournament.

The Saints (2-0), from Alexandria, Va., beat the Reds, 2-1, and Bethesda-Chevy Chase, 3-0. Lizzie Culvahouse scored three goals for the Saints in the two games and Kathleen Miller scored the game-winner against the Reds.

Severna Park had to settle for another 0-0 overtime draw in its second game, with BCC (2-1-1).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.