The Death Of Gen. M'clellan.

A Great Soldier Gone - Tributes of Respect to His Memory.

Baltimore, Friday Morning, October 30, 1885 Twelve Cents A Week.

September 08, 2002

NEWARK, N.J., Oct. 29. - Gen. George B. McClellan died suddenly at his residence, at St. Cloud, Orange Mountain, shortly after midnight last night, of neuralgia of the heart.

He returned home about six weeks ago from his trip West with his family, and had been under the care of a physician for about two weeks. Nothing serious was expected until yesterday, when he became worse. He died surrounded by his family. Invitations had been issued for a reception this evening.

Gen. McClellan's summer home, erected after the war, was on the summit of Orange Mountain, next to that of his father-in-law, Gen. Marcy. The whole community was shocked by the news of his death. The flags are flying at half-mast and the Grand Army Post has called a meeting to express their sorrow and offer a body-guard for the remains.

Gen. McClellan was an elder in the Presbyterian Church. He had been failing for months past and had not visited his office in two weeks, though it was not expected that his illness would result fatally.

He leaves a son and daughter, the former just completing his education.

As soon as the news spread throughout the city great sorrow was expressed at the General's death.

Gov. Abbett sent the following telegram to Mrs. McClellan:

"My Dear Madam: I have just learned with profound sorrow of the death of your distinguished husband. I speak not only for myself, but for all the people of New Jersey, who will join in the universal mourning for the loss of a pure and upright citizen and a great soldier. I wish most earnestly to take such proper official action as will do honor to his memory. I have directed Adjutant-General Wm. S. Stryker to ascertain your wishes, so that the action of the executive may be in full sympathy with your own feelings."


Universal Regret at His Death.

[Special Dispatch to the Baltimore Sun.]

NEW YORK, Oct. 29. - The sudden death of Gen. George B. McClellan caused the deepest sorrow in this city among all classes of citizens, but especially among the survivors of that splendid army which the dead commander organized, and which it was the good fortune of Gen. Grant two years later to lead to victory.

Flags are flying at half-mast from all the public buildings, and there will be a universal manifestation of respect to the memory of the dead.

Gen. McClellan, though nominally a citizen of New Jersey, lived during several months of the year at West Washington Park, and this city was accustomed to claim him among its citizens.

For two years indeed he was chief engineer of the dock department here and devised a system of docks which, though costly, would have been a splendid acquisition to the city if the plan had been consummated.

The General was a familiar figure in our streets and was in universal demand at all public ceremonies, banquets and meetings.

The bitterness that was engendered by the events of his military career were removed by time, and the General lived to see his patriotism vindicated, and his great services to his country generally acknowledged.

One by one the heroes of the great war are dropping from the ranks of the living. Gen. Grant has scarcely been laid at rest and his monument has not yet been reared, and his distinguished predecessor, the hero of Antietam, dies. That he will rank in military history as one of the very first generals there can scarcely be a doubt.

His public career really ended with his defeat for the presidency in 1864, but he served with credit one term as Governor of New Jersey from 1878 to 1881.

In Orange, N.J., where he resided most of the year, he was highly esteemed by his neighbors.

Last May he celebrated in this city his silver wedding.

Gen. McClellan was president of the Grand Belt Copper Company, No. 47 Broadway, which he visited for the last time about two weeks ago.

Complaining of dyspepsia, he discontinued smoking, which he thought caused the trouble, and concluded to take a rest. He intended to have returned to the office yesterday, but concluded not to do so, and on Tuesday sent a telegram stating that he would not be in town for three or four days yet.

It is evident that he had no idea that his end was so near. Those who have seen him at Orange within a day or two speak of him as looking badly but cheerful, and by no means seriously ill.

Rev. Dr. Paxton, of this city, a warm personal friend of Gen. McClellan, made a most interesting statement today in review of the dead soldier's life. He says that since the war McClellan led a happy and prosperous life. He had an ample income, his salary from the copper company being $15,000 [about $277,000 in 2002 dollars] a year, yet he said to Dr. Paxton not long ago that an evil genius seemed to have balked his best efforts. It appeared throughout his army career and in one incident of his later life.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.