No-contact order against Hyde widens

Ex-chief of schools barred from young girl's family

Carroll County

August 21, 2002|By Jennifer McMenamin | Jennifer McMenamin,SUN STAFF

Former Carroll County schools Superintendent William H. Hyde was ordered yesterday to have no contact with the extended family of the young girl he is accused of sexually abusing.

Carroll District Judge Marc G. Rasinsky signed the no-contact order after family members of the elementary school-aged girl complained that Hyde has tried to reach them since he left the state after his arrest Aug. 8, authorities said.

The new decision broadened a protective order the judge signed Friday prohibiting Hyde from contacting the young girl, her parents or her younger brother and ordering Hyde to stay away from the home of the girl's parents, her school, her day care provider's home and her parents' places of work. The protective order, which will remain in effect for a year, was an extension of a temporary order Rasinsky signed Aug. 9.

Authorities arrested Hyde, 61, on Aug. 8 at the Maryland State Police barracks in Westminster, where investigators had spent nearly all day questioning him about the suspected abuse of the young girl.

Hyde, who resigned his job in Carroll County two years ago to take a post as superintendent of a small school system in Montana, was released the next morning on $50,000 bond. He was charged with child sexual abuse, third- and fourth-degree sex offenses and second-degree assault.

Authorities and school officials in Maryland and Montana have said they have no reason to suspect Hyde of abusing students during his 39-year career in education.

Hyde was not in court Friday to contest the girl's parents' request for a protective order and he was not in court yesterday. Through his attorneys, Hyde asked to be excused from yesterday's hearing because a round-trip flight would have cost $2,000.

It is not clear whether Hyde is staying in northwestern Montana, where he worked for two years as superintendent of Seeley Lake Elementary School District, or in Idaho at the home of a girlfriend, whose address was listed in court documents.

Reached yesterday on his cell phone, Hyde said, "I really can't say anything. You'd need to speak to my attorneys." He would not say where he was at the time of the phone call.

In court yesterday, defense attorney Edward M. Ulsch turned over Hyde's passport and told the judge that Hyde has shipped two hunting firearms - a Ruger rifle and a Taurus revolver - to Maryland through a gun dealer, as required by the conditions of his pretrial release.

Maryland State Police investigators will pick up those guns and other firearms that Hyde has indicated are at his former wife's home near Westminster.

Hyde also waived his right to fight extradition to Maryland for trial.

Police say the alleged abuse occurred July 15 at the home of the girl's family, court records show. An examination of the girl "showed evidence consistent with long-term sexual abuse and a recent injury consistent with genital contact," according to court documents.

If convicted of the most serious charge, Hyde could be sentenced to 15 years in prison. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Sept. 12 to determine whether prosecutors have enough evidence to proceed with the case.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.