Charge dropped against man fighting red-light camera...

Arundel Digest

August 18, 2002

Charge dropped against man fighting red-light camera fine

Anne Arundel County prosecutors have dropped the charge that led to the first challenge to the county's red-light camera law.

Prosecutors said they decided to drop the case against lawyer Samuel L. Serio of Davidsonville because the required procedures were not followed in inspecting and signing photographs officials said were of his sport utility vehicle running a red light outside Annapolis.

Serio, who has a law practice in Riverdale, could not be reached for comment. However, court records indicate the court returned his appeal funds earlier this month.

Two men rob employee delivering money to bank

Two men robbed an armored vehicle as an employee tried to deliver money to the Chevy Chase Bank on Brandermill Boulevard about 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Anne Arundel County police said.

A Dunbar armored vehicle pulled up to the bank, and as an employee stepped out with a bag of cash, two men in their mid-20s, one armed with a handgun, grabbed the money and shoved the man to the ground, police said.

The pair fled in a white van, police said.

Man hurt while trying to save cats in house fire

An 18-year-old man was hospitalized Friday after he suffered smoke inhalation trying to save two cats during a fire at his family's Pasadena home, county firefighters said.

John Herrmann, his 18-year-old girlfriend and his 15-year-old sister escaped a blaze that caused about $80,000 in damage to the Herrmann family's one-story home on Forsythia Lane, said Capt. Michael Cox, spokesman for the county Fire Department.

The young women were in the computer room in the house when they heard a crackling sound in the kitchen, Cox said.

Fire officials have determined the fire began in the kitchen but have not pinpointed an exact cause, Cox said. All three teen-agers left the house, but Herrmann returned to look for the family cats. Herrmann suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to North Arundel Hospital for evaluation, Cox said.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to find the house engulfed in heavy smoke, Cox said. All units were called to the scene, and 32 firefighters extinguished the blaze in 20 minutes, he said.

The two cats, which were found by firefighters, were expected to live. The teens are staying with friends, Cox said. Their parents had been away on vacation, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.