Couple sentenced to prison in stun gun attack

Assault was part of plot to rob Reisterstown bank

August 08, 2002|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF

A 22-year-old Baltimore woman was sentenced to 12 years and her estranged husband to 10 years yesterday for trying to steal the key to a Reisterstown bank by knocking a teller unconscious with a stun gun.

Monique Torian of the 5900 block of Bland Ave. was sentenced by Baltimore County Circuit Judge John O. Hennegan after she admitted to concocting a scheme to rob First Union Bank with her husband, Eddie Torian, 21, and her brother, Kevin E. Lee.

Lee, 24, who had three previous robbery convictions, was sentenced to 20 years April 1.

All three pleaded guilty to attempted armed robbery.

Hennegan said he sentenced Monique Torian to a stiffer term than her husband, a resident of the first block of Torlina Court in Woodlawn, because she played a central role in the attack.

"She was the one who planned it. She picked the victim, she picked the target," Hennegan said.

Assistant State's Attorney Adam D. Lippe said the three planned to knock out and tie up the teller, Lori Jancasz, and put her in the trunk of their car. They planned to use her key to enter the drive-through booth of First Union Bank in Reisterstown, tie up another teller inside and take the cash, he said.

Torian invited Jancasz to meet for lunch Dec. 27, he said, about two months after Torian quit working there.

Torian drove Jancasz to Chartley Shopping Center about 11 a.m. and told her she had to run an errand. Torian left and within minutes, Lee and Eddie Torian jumped into Torian's car and began applying the stun gun to Jancasz's neck and head, Lippe said.

A passer-by saw the attack and rammed his pickup truck into their getaway car, Lippe said. Jancasz identified Eddie Torian when police arrived and Monique Torian confessed, he said.

In court yesterday, the Torians apologized.

"I didn't mean for it to happen. I'm sorry, Lori," Monique Torian said.

Charles Lamasa, Monique Torian's attorney, told Hennegan that she had no criminal record and arranged the attack to win back her husband. He said she had a baby 10 months ago and the couple had separated because of financial problems.

But Lippe said Monique Torian planned the crime, chose a former co-worker as the victim and initially lied to police. He said she brought walkie-talkies to communicate with her husband.

Jancasz said yesterday that the stun gun sent shocks through her body, burned her skin and made some of her hair fall out.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.