Annie Snyder, 80, a Virginia farmer and World War II...

Deaths Elsewhere

July 29, 2002

Annie Snyder, 80, a Virginia farmer and World War II Marine Corps veteran who led major campaigns against Marriott Corp., Walt Disney Co. and other developers in her decades-long battle to preserve land near the Manassas Civil War battlefield, died of pneumonia July 19 in Manassas, Va.

A conservative Republican, Ms. Snyder began leading political crusades in Prince William County not long after she and her airline pilot husband, Pete, moved to their 180-acre farm near Gainesville after World War II.

The farm, on which Ms. Snyder raised strawberries and Black Angus cattle, is near Manassas Battlefield National Park, where Union and Confederate troops clashed in two major Civil War battles. (The Battles of Manassas were known by Northerners as the Battles of Bull Run.)

The first of what Ms. Snyder called her many "battles of Manassas" to preserve the historic ground began in the 1950s when she successfully fought federal highway engineers who wanted to build an interstate through the middle of the battlefield about 30 miles west of Washington. The battles continued into the 1990s.

One of the Marine Corps' first female officers, Ms. Snyder was one of five women Marines to serve as models for the "Mollie Marine" statue, the nation's first monument to women in uniform. Dedicated on Nov. 10, 1943, the statue is on Canal Street in New Orleans, where Ms. Snyder worked as a recruiter before traveling around the nation seeking female recruits.

Paul Revere, 85, to whom Boston turned repeatedly whenever it wanted to celebrate a direct link to his Colonial ancestor's midnight ride, died Wednesday at his home in Braintree, Mass.

A Boston milkman for 30 years, Mr. Revere was a fourth-generation descendant of the Paul Revere who warned of the arrival of the British in 1775, his family said.

Mr. Revere served his country in wartime. After graduating from Braintree High School, he enlisted in the Army, fought as an infantryman in World War II in North Africa and Italy and won a Bronze Star.

A daughter, Paula Rappoli of Harrisburg, N.C., said her father was a "good sport" who participated in numerous patriotic events and Revolutionary War re-enactments.

Many years ago, he drove his milk truck along Paul Revere's historic trail from Boston to Concord and Lexington. On another occasion, he rode part of the trail on horseback.

But the modern day Paul Revere had his limits. "He wouldn't put on that uniform," the daughter said.

Mr. Revere also resisted being drawn into discussions about the veracity of his famous ancestor's tale. Paul Revere was one of several horsemen that fateful night and was captured by the British as other riders completed the course.

C. James Carrico, 67, the first doctor to examine President John F. Kennedy after his assassination in Dallas, died Thursday in Greenbank on Whidbey Island, Wash., from colon cancer.

Dr. Carrico became chief of surgery at Harborview Medical Center after moving to Seattle in 1974. He became chairman of the surgery department at University of Washington School of Medicine in 1983. He stepped down in 1990, taking a job at his alma mater, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, and retired in 2000.

On Nov. 22, 1963, he was a 28-year-old, first-year surgical resident at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. He was the first physician there to see President Kennedy after the shooting. He remained at the president's side for 25 minutes until a colleague pronounced President Kennedy dead.

Dr. Carrico was modest about his role in history, which included testimony before the Warren Commission. Asked why Parkland's emergency doctors did not further examine the president after he died, Dr. Carrico said: "We felt certainly that complete examination would be carried out and no one had the heart, I believe, to examine him then."

Leonard Miller, 69, chairman and co-founder of homebuilder Lennar Corp., died yesterday in Miami from liver cancer .

Mr. Miller, a Harvard graduate, moved to Miami and founded F&R Builders with a $10,000 investment in 1954. By 1961, the company was selling more than 350 homes a year, according to Lennar's Web site.

Mr. Miller and a friend, Arnold Rosen, took the company public as Lennar in 1972. Lennar has delivered more than 500,000 homes and has more than 7,500 associates.

The company was the target of construction complaints after Hurricane Andrew devastated Miami-Dade County in August 1992. Prosecutors concluded they had insufficient evidence of intent to avoid building codes.

The company expanded to Maryland, Arizona, Texas, California, New Jersey, Virginia, Minnesota, Ohio, Colorado, North Carolina and Michigan under Mr. Miller's leadership.

Dolores Olmedo, 93, who posed for a 1955 painting by Mexican painter Diego Rivera and went on to build the largest collection of his work, died of a heart attack late Saturday in Mexico City.

She was known as a wealthy member of Mexico's "golden age" cultural whirl in the 1940s and 1950s. A successful businesswoman, she once asked Mr. Rivera to compose a list of his most important paintings, and studiously began to buy them. She founded a museum in southern Mexico City to house 145 paintings by Mr. Rivera and 25 works by Rivera's artist wife, Frida Kahlo.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.