Man who fled custody when officer was shot surrenders to authorities

18-year-old being held on drug, escape charges

July 24, 2002|By Del Quentin Wilber | Del Quentin Wilber,SUN STAFF

An 18-year-old man who fled when his arrest was interrupted by the shooting of a Baltimore police officer Saturday night has surrendered to authorities, police said yesterday.

Elliott T. Reed of the 2000 block of N. Fulton Ave. was being held last night at Central Booking and Intake Center on charges of escaping police and possession with intent to distribute drugs.

He turned himself in about 11:30 p.m. Monday at police headquarters. Reed had been sought by police since the shooting of Officer Chris Houser, 29, in the 3500 block of W. Belvedere Ave.

Houser and several other officers were arresting Reed after spotting him selling drugs, police say, when a gunman fired four or five shots at the officers.

Houser suffered a bullet wound to his right shoulder. His condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center was upgraded yesterday from critical to serious but stable, officials said.

Reed ran off in handcuffs as the shooting occurred, police said.

Within hours of the shooting, police picked up a cousin of Reed, Neil E. Glover, 18, also of the 2000 block of N. Fulton Ave. for questioning. They charged Glover with attempted first-degree murder Monday.

Police were led to Glover, they said, after finding a witness who told detectives that the 18-year-old approached her after the shooting and offered $100 for her to keep a handgun for him.

Another witness told detectives that Glover was the only person near the shooting scene with a handgun, police said.

During questioning by detectives, Glover said he did not shoot the officer and maintained he was "merely a lookout" for the real gunman, according to court documents.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.